You maybe able to reclaim storage insurance.

ZZaffy
ZZaffy Posts: 170 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Not sure if this is PPI.
Please note if you are using storage and the company say 'you must take out insurance with them because The Storage Association insist upon it' - this is not the case. Insurance is recommended by S.A. but it is not mandatory. I am with a very good storage company who did not insist upon insurance and they are with the Storage Association. I rang the Storage Association, and asked them. They were reluctant to answer but when pressed said it was not a requirement from them but a recommendation.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    ZZaffy wrote: »
    Not sure if this is PPI.
    Please note if you are using storage and the company say 'you must take out insurance with them because The Storage Association insist upon it' - this is not the case. Insurance is recommended by S.A. but it is not mandatory.
    A very spurious complaint using PPI complaint reasons for something which is not PPI.

Any such complaint would not only lack any validity, it would probably be seen as vexatious.

Is this a vision of what the future of this forum will be after Friday? :(
  • ZZaffy
    I said I did not know if it were PPI. I am not sure how to get the post moved to the correct site.. However I would like to inform the public that if they wish to use storage they do have to take out insurance. The purpose of this website is to help people save money and to help them to avoid pitfalls. I went to four storage places and each time I was informed storage was mandatory and each time, the reason given was that they had to charge insurance otherwise they would be breeching the Storage Association rules. I rang the Storage Association and found, even though it was difficult to have them admit, indeed insurance is not mandatory. I wanted to share this information not to vex but to reduce bills which for some people who are using storage it is an expensive and troubling time of life. Please report this post if you feel it is distasteful. I though my post might connect with PPI because it concerns incorrect insurance. Sorry to have annoyed you.
  • [Deleted User]
    However I would like to inform the public that if they wish to use storage they do have to take out insurance.
    That's fair enough.
    Your thread title goes further and states you may be able to somehow "reclaim" storage insurance. That's not the case at all.

However, you are certainly able to decline insurance in the first place (leaving your belongings uninsured) and if you already have a policy you might wish to complain that you were lied to and that you want a refund (again leaving your belongings uninsured).

Realise that not every insurance is PPI and not even all PPI was mis-sold. PPI is an insurance covering financial products and pays out in the event unemployment or illness.

What you describe here has more in common with Home Contents insurance.
    I wanted to share this information not to vex but to reduce bills which for some people who are using storage it is an expensive and troubling time of life.
    But you are not just sharing factual information. you are making wild guesses. The fact is that, far from "reducing bills", attempting to claim back insurance from a storage facility on the basis of an unsubstantiated allegation that you were lied to would likely be seen as a vexatious complaint.
    incorrect insurance
    How is the insurance "incorrect"?
  • ZZaffy
    Incorrect insurance. As in 'not mandatory as sold'. Only one storage company gave me the correct information. The other companies had the same selling line 'We have to charge you insurance cover because the Storage Association of which we belong to insist upon it.' This is incorrect. I can see no reason why current customers should not approach their storage company (that is if they do not wish to continue the insurance) and ask for a refund due to incorrect selling. At the least they may want to not continue with taking out a policy. If they want to they are choosing that they want to rather than being sold unnecessary insurance based on incorrect information.
  • [Deleted User]
    I see from your posting history that you've created multiple threads about this, spread across the forum in the last month.

In light of that, I don't propose to respond here any further as I've already made the position clear just as others on your other threads have.
  • ZZaffy
    You do not have to formally inform me that you do not propose to respond, just don't.
  • ZZaffy
    I see from your posting history that you've created multiple threads about this, spread across the forum in the last month.
    If you have seen multiple posts from me regarding this issue spread across the forum then someone is impersonating me. I posted the issue a short while ago on the moving section. I decided to raise the issue once more that is all. Please tell me the other posts that you have seen and I will report your findings. Thank you
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure