Dental cost query?

Hi All.
Just a quick query with regards to dental charges.
I recently decided to have my metal fillings replaced with white ones. I understood that I would be charged for this privately and they were replaced in July this year.

I have now developed an abscess under the two teeth and require route canal treatment.
My dentist has said had they still been metal fillings I could have the RCT done under the NHS however as they are now white I would have to pay privately.
The cost for RCT for LL5&6 is £315.
To me that sounds very expensive especially as 6 weeks ago the fillings were still metal.
Does that sound accurate?

Also, from what I believe, the teeth may require crowns following RCT. Does that mean i have two further charges of around £300 to look forward to?

Many thanks for your thoughts.

Comments

• brook2jack
    brook2jack Posts: 4,563 Forumite
    You could have the root treatment done under the NHS if you are accepted for NHS treatment . Most dentists will want to crown or inlay root filled teeth with large fillings a couple of months after.

This means you will pay a band two fee (in England and Wales) followed by a band three treatment a few months after.

If your dentist has accepted you as a NHS patient (you will have signed a NHS form) he cannot say he cant do the root treatments on the NHS but he can privately.
  • Toothsmith
    Toothsmith Posts: 10,074 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    The small, but real, risk of a tooth developing further problems after having a filling replaced should really have been discussed with you to help you make the decision on whether to have this cosmetic procedure done or not.

As part of that, it would have struck me as sensible for the dentist to also discuss beforehand how any complications would be dealt with in terms of charging?
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
  • Thanks for your replies.
    I'm in Scotland. Not sure if that's any different.
    I am an NHS patient but don't qualify for help with costs.
    The history is I had some work done and was charged appropriately as an NHS patient.
    I then decided that I wanted my metal fillings replaced with white ones, purely for cosmetic reasons, and obviously was charged privately.
    The teeth affected by the abscess just now are the 2 that had the fillings replaced.
    My dentist definitely told me that as they are white fillings the RCT is not covered by the NHS and gave me the estimate stated.
    Had they still been metal fillings the charge would have been the band 2 NHS charge.
  • brook2jack
    brook2jack Posts: 4,563 Forumite
    Scotland is a different system and charges. You cannot mix NHS and private on the same tooth in Scotland , so unless you want amalgam (silver) fillings placed back in the tooth the root treatment will be private .

Scotland does not have bands of treatment it is fee per item ie you are charged separately for each item of treatment. So if you need crowns , depending on what material they are made of , you will be paying seperately for each around £100 ish if they are done in the future.
  • welshdent
    welshdent Posts: 1,990 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    FWIW £315 for a LL 5 AND 6 tooth is rather low IMHO.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure