Options
    Good luck :)
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
  • FootyFanDan
    FootyFanDan Posts: 1,372 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Hey :)

Just wanted to pop by and wish you luck on your journey. Nice to see you have set some goals early.
  • LannaBond
    LannaBond Posts: 10 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    EP456 wrote: »
    Hi Lanna

What about TV Licence and home insurance?

Also, you have Mortgage as nil, but paying £310 per month?

Best of luck in your quest xx

No TV licence, just Netflix.. thankfully they haven't closed that loophole yet, like they did with the iPlayer!

I clearly need to redo my SOA. Home insurance is £6 a month, buildings only and I think my mortgage is about £53k, my problem is my paperwork is scattered about the house, so I really need to declutter, pull together and sort properly!!
  • LannaBond
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi

I think your soa is good - I think as DR would say you need to up your income. Is there anything you can do to boost it? Plenty of ideas on the boards. Good luck on your journey.

Thankfully I have 18.5 hours of overtime to submit this month!

I've started looking at the extra things we can do and started to make a little list of what I can fit into my day and what hubby needs to take on to help out.
  • LannaBond
    First Anniversary
    Options
    So, didn't post yesterday as still trying to wrap my head around this getting organised malarky. Had a fairly quiet Sunday, just had to leave the house to take a trip to the local recycling village (the fancy name for our tip) to drop off four bags of grass clippings from my mum's house.

In regards to my journey I will keep it brief (ish!)

Waste management
    • Food - I threw about three tablespoons of dinner that I could eat away, the dog was very disappointed he never got to get at it! Clearly I need to look at my portion sizings.
    • Plastics - Three plastic food wrappers, which were non recyclable went into the trash.
    • Utilities - I've been round the house and found four wall switches that can be turned off at night that feed power to things that aren't used, so they are going to be added to a daily routine!
    • Money - spent the grand total of 20p to !!!!!! up my tyres at the car wash
    Investing in myself

I had an hour just messing about on an old computer game that I bought on Steam in a sale, forgot how much fun it was!

Needs not wants
    Looking at what I have it's had to justify needing anything else, the only thing that I really need to work toward is getting the house redecorated and some of the things like the electrics and windows replaced.

Simplicity
    I have found a cleaning routine that might actually work for me, it's getting planned into my reminders on my phone to jog me along.

I managed to declutter a box full of items from the kitchen, which will move to it's new home in the charity shop next Saturday.

Today's to do!
    Laundry
    Rearrange part of the kitchen
    Update hubby's CV
    Put in no more than 2 hours of overtime (I don't really like working from home, I have a tendancy to procrastinate)
    Enjoy a NSD!
  • Queen_of_the_Hive
    Options
    Hi Lannabond,

We have started our diaries around the same time! Very keen to watch with interest on how you get on. My ExH was made redundant at the same time as I was on my 3 month notice period on my old job (I left to raise my kids). We went from two good incomes to £0 at the same time and it is a tough place to be so can completely get the difficulties you faced.

One of my favourite money saving tips which has stood me in good stead was keeping an upto date log of spending on an excel (or similar) spreadsheet. I set my spending budget for the month and then work out my daily spend figure. Its gone haywire in the past year but that's why I'm making a concerted effort again with my shiny new diary...!
    2024 financial goals & challenges

1). Mortgage (started Jan 2024) £120,692.14 / £122400. Overpayment total: £110.68. 89% remaining.

2). #7 Save 1p a day challenge 2024 £60/£780

3). £1610/£3000 in Investment ISA (21/50 investments)

4). Increase cash savings & saving pots

5). Keep debt to a minimum.

Favourite quote: 'Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gunna get!' Forrest Gump
  • LannaBond
    First Anniversary
    Options
    clarissa62 wrote: »
    Hi Lannabond,

We have started our diaries around the same time! Very keen to watch with interest on how you get on. My ExH was made redundant at the same time as I was on my 3 month notice period on my old job (I left to raise my kids). We went from two good incomes to £0 at the same time and it is a tough place to be so can completely get the difficulties you faced.

One of my favourite money saving tips which has stood me in good stead was keeping an upto date log of spending on an excel (or similar) spreadsheet. I set my spending budget for the month and then work out my daily spend figure. Its gone haywire in the past year but that's why I'm making a concerted effort again with my shiny new diary...!

Clarissa, there's nothing worse than a bolt from the blue!

I need a spreadsheet, I might try and cobble one together on my lunch break tomorrow. I think my focus areas are probably my food spend, which for two plus a furbaby seems high and my utilities. I might do some research on water meters.

I'm off to find your diary and give you a sub, we can spur each other on!! :)
  • LannaBond
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Today has been scarily productive, spent the morning working through my to do and chores list and a few hours this afternoon catching up on some work. My poor furbaby has suffered because of the heat today, even having the fan on hasn't helped him. Heat isn't my friend either, so I am happy to sit in the cool watching the world go by.

Decided to declutter my emails today, managed to ditch over 400 and I now have nine. Tomorrow my hallway and stairs are going to be my cleaning focus when I get in from work.

Waste management
    • Food - I threw about half a bag of carrots which had been living in the fridge for about 3 weeks. On the flip side, tonights dinner involved potatoes, so I decided to peel a little chunkier and now I have potato skins waiting to be used for Wednesday night!
    • Plastics - More food wrappers, which were non recyclable went into the trash. I wish more vegetables were sold loose.
    • Money - First No Spend Day!!!!!!!
    Investing in myself

Not much time for me today as I seemed to be on a mission, I'll make up for it tomorrow after work when I will be pooped and attach myself to the sofa!

Simplicity
    Followed my cleaning routine and manged to get three loads of laundry, the dishes washed, my windows in the living room cleaned and fly screening put up, put some of my laundry away and dinner made, as well as lunch for tomorrow.

I also managed to declutter another box full of items from the kitchen.

Tomorrow's to do!
    Day two of cleaning regime
    Hubby's CV - rolled over from today
    Finance spreadsheet
  • Toni'sfriend
    Toni'sfriend Posts: 4,034 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hello Lannabond

I find if you peel carrots, put them in cold water in a sealed container in the fridge they last for ages. Just replace the water every couple of days. Works for green beans as well. It's difficult to find somewhere to buy loose veg around here as well.
    Have adventures. laugh a lot and always be kind.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure