Please note: The Auto-enrolment sub-board is now closed. If you have a question around pensions, please post in the Pensions, Annuities and Retirement Planning board.

Pension drawdown at 55

Hi,

I am 55 in just under 3 years and I am looking to possibly draw some money out on 2 of my 3 pensions. I have 2 older ones that I no longer pay into.
My questions are -
Can I withdraw from the 1 old private and 1 old work pension at 55?
If so, do I need to combine to 2 before I can withdraw any money from them?

Thanks in advance,
Kev

Comments

• AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    You can withdraw from them individually subject to any rules they may have (some older pensions may not allow withdrawals in which case you'd have to transfer to one that did)
    There are tax rules which limit what you can withdraw without paying tax and also how much you can continue to contribute to a pension afterwards.
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    You might save a small amount on withdrawal charges if you combine the pensions together, but I doubt you will save enough to make it worthwhile.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • 1 old work pension

First thing would be to check if this is defined benefit (usually final salary) or defined contribution.

If it's defined benefit there may not be a fund or pot to take money out of in the way you describe.
  • Thanks for the replies everyone, I'll start looking into them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure