Choosing a bike

Options
I'm hoping to get a bike through my employer's Cycle to Work scheme. It's the Halfords scheme but also includes independent retailers and I'd rather support independents. However, my first visit to a shop was underwhelming (after glowing reviews of the shop). Based on my vague criteria (I was open to suggestions and basically potentially a blank cheque!) the guy pointed out a few bikes and gave prices off the top of his head as I frantically scribbled on the price-free catalogue he handed me. There were a couple I liked everything about except the colour and ultimately the one I would go for from the shop is the Genesis Delta 10 at £575 https://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bike/delta-10-2020. It doesn't have disc brakes or a steel frame as I wanted but I am realising I can't get everything I wanted for the price I want to pay.

I facebook messaged another local shop and they've said I should pop in to discuss further but their go-to recommendation would be the GT Grade Elite at £850 https://www.gtbicycles.com/gbr_en/grade-elite?fbclid=IwAR03YZMABBvW38Fi0k_BaDNw1lI_NocU2j21N8BjG-7x9t7_pY0nh39U8eQ which I love the look of but is more than I wanted to spend. They said there is a lower spec model but they recommend that one (I'd specified I wanted to spend under £600).

I wonder if any kind person who knows more about these things could tell me whether there's enough difference in the two above to justify the higher cost for my requirements and if there's anything about the cheaper one I'd end up regretting or if you can recommend a better option. With the scheme the costs will be spread and it's salary-sacrifice but I still don't want to spend more than I need.

I'm looking to use it for commuting in quite a hilly city with quite pot-holey roles in places. The commute is 5 miles one way but, having not cycled much for many years, I may break it up with some train time initially. I would also want to use it on canal paths for leisure etc. Where I live is also very rainy so I'd want to consider that when it comes to brakes.

Comments

• Manxman_in_exile
    Options
    1. I would suggest that those are not suitable commuting bikes - they're moving towards serious road riding.

2. I think you are posting on the wrong board if you know next to nothing about bikes and want to be pointed in the right direction for a suitable commuting or "all purpose" bike (eg a hybrid not a road bike).

Report this thread to a mod and ask them to transfer to the public transport and cycling board.

(Did you explain to the bike shops that you wanted advice on buying a bike for a short commuter ride?)
  • parking_question_chap
    Options
    Nothing wrong with a road bike for commuting if you are able to avoid the potholes. However if this is going to cause a problem a hybrid will be better as any impact from the pots will be easier absorbed by the wide tyres which will be at a lower pressure, thus sending less shock through the wheel, frame and rider. If assuming your roads are in good enough order for you to use a road bike, my comments are as follows.

The aspect that will make the most difference to your commute is the groupset. ie the gears, brakes and shifters etc.

With Schinamo the order is as follows. Best to worst.

Dura Ace
    Ultegra
    Tiagra
    Sora
    Claris

I am really struggling to see where the GT Grade "Elite" gets its £850 price tag from. Probably a combination of a high image brand and being a bespoke "gravel" bike, for some reason sub niches seem to command a premium. If they were the only two bikes for sale on this earth I would be Going for the genesis, as the additional £275 doesnt seem to get you anything.

However, if you are not a brand snob go there are two options. Get yourself a Triban 520. Its got a much better group set and has more gears, which will make a big difference on the hills.

Alternatively if you have any cycling friends to assist get yourself looking into the second hand market. I picked up a 2 year old bike with Ultegra groupset weighing 8.4kg for £350.
  • halfajack
    halfajack Posts: 89 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ah thank you - I will ask for it to be moved. This was the most obvious forum to me on first glance. Yes, I did tell them my requirements.
  • halfajack
    Options
    I seem to have been pointed very much in the wrong direction by dealers! On second-hand options - this is not as cost-effective as it might seem for me. If I spend £350 on a second-hand bike I'm paying that up front, along with accessories which I'm estimating at £150, so £500 up front. On the cycle-to-work scheme, if I 'spend' £850, it's paid for through salary-sacrifice resulting in a total net-pay reduction of £578 over 18 months. You can perhaps see why I'm more inclined to go for 'the bike' that will last and do the job straight off.
  • Manxman_in_exile
    Options
    I "returned" to cycling 28 years ago. Did a bit of research and got myself a Dawes hybrid. (Quite expensive at the time but not big money). Suitable for commuting, light enough and quick enough to do some fitness riding (used it once for a bike/run duathlon), but also robust enough to do some reasonably rough off-roading.

I'm still using it regularly nearly three decades after buying it. (Although I've spent quite a lot on it over the years, so apart from the frame it may not be the same bike!)

If you are looking at using on roads, tow-paths, potholes, in the wet and mud etc you need a hybrid, not a road bike (unless you want to do serious road riding).
  • parking_question_chap
    Options
    Ok just check the small print, and have a look around various forums. The CTWS is essentially now a PCP system. At the end you will then be asked to pay a fee of £Z to extend the lease or £Y to finally own the bike. It was much better years ago.
  • halfajack
    Options
    When you say hybrid, I take it those are ones with flat handlebars only? I really want dropped-handlebars. One of the few things I knew I wanted from the start. :-)
  • Manxman_in_exile
    Options
    halfajack wrote: »
    When you say hybrid, I take it those are ones with flat handlebars only? I really want dropped-handlebars. One of the few things I knew I wanted from the start. :-)

Ha! I was just about to edit my previous post to say that if you are a born again cyclist or of more "mature"(?) years, you'd almost certainly find a hybrid more comfortable! Each to their own, but any particular reason why you'd prefer "drops"? Very much personal preference, but how much time would you spend on the dropped part?

I have a bad neck and back and dropped handlebars are far too uncomfortable for me. I have bar-ends fitted to my bike and they give me ample opportunity to change hand positions to relieve stress etc. Also the more upright riding position helps avoid back problems.

One other thing if you go for a hybrid with "flat" bars, make sure the brake levers are angled down at about 45 degrees so as to avoid wrist strain when using them. I ride with the back of my hand in line with my forearm so that my wrist is straight and neither flexed nor extended. I'm always surprised when I see new bikes in shops that are set up with the brake levers horizontal so that you have to "cup" your wrists to use them. (Just noticed my wife's bike is set up like that!).

You need to visit a few shops and do some test rides.

(We visit Amsterdam a couple of times a year and everyone rides a bike - never seen one with dropped handlebars).
  • halfajack
    Options
    Hi Manxman. No. 1 reason for preferring dropped handlebars is not noble - I like the look of them! I also talked through pros and cons with friends and they came out on top. I'm 35, so not sure where I fit in your maturity scale but am quite fit and flexible (I do yoga and pilates...not just quoting Madonna!). I take your advice about doing test runs but since posting my original message I visited a second independent shop near me and was again underwhelmed by the service. Contrary to what I've heard, and the reviews of these places on google, these people were not prepared to help me pick and advise me and I felt a bit of a nuisance. I've decided instead to take advice from kind strangers like yourselves online and use it to take my chances picking something from Halfords/Tredz/Cycle Republic (although I did find an ideal one on Decathlon and one on Evans and frustrated they don't seem to accept by C2w scheme).
  • Fiona_CW
    Fiona_CW Posts: 128 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Have a look at cyclocross bikes - they have drop bars but wider knobbly tyres so can cope with rougher terrain than road bikes
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback