Aldi = Annoying

Options
2»

Comments

• Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    You think it's bad now? Wait till November when you are queuing for bread.

Unless you have firm evidence for that, there are plenty of outlets for Brexit scare-mongering on DT.

Thanks.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,664 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Cornucopia wrote: »
    Unless you have firm evidence for that, there are plenty of outlets for Brexit scare-mongering on DT.

Thanks.

I think that the reason for some poor stock could be Brexit. Maybe shops are trying to prevent stockpiling.

Another reason is that many shops are really suffering because of austerity and the decline of the High Street. My local Boots is a right mess. If it wasn't for the pharmacy I don't think it would stay open (and probably won't longer term).
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Quite often my local Lloyds or Boots chemist will not have stocks of certain medicines that has always been available. I have regular medication for various ailments and often I get my prescription early as I know that it will have to be ordered inas they either haven't got it or very low stocks
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,854 Forumite
    Options
    maman wrote: »
    I think that the reason for some poor stock could be Brexit. Maybe shops are trying to prevent stockpiling.

Another reason is that many shops are really suffering because of austerity and the decline of the High Street. My local Boots is a right mess. If it wasn't for the pharmacy I don't think it would stay open (and probably won't longer term).

Shops run out of stock because of poor logistics, trading beyond the capacity of their infrastructure (which is what is wrong with Aldi at present) and just rotten management (Boots).

Aldi will get over its problems. Boots? I don't see why it still exists and sooner of later I doubt it will.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,664 Forumite
    Options
    JackieO wrote: »
    Quite often my local Lloyds or Boots chemist will not have stocks of certain medicines that has always been available. I have regular medication for various ailments and often I get my prescription early as I know that it will have to be ordered inas they either haven't got it or very low stocks

I was thinking more of the shelves in the 'shop' part where they seem to space out very limited stock.

As for recent shortages of prescription medicines, that's happening a lot and I'm convinced that's down to Brexit. :(
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,854 Forumite
    Options
    I was thinking more of the shelves in the 'shop' part where they seem to space out very limited stock.

As for recent shortages of prescription medicines, that's happening a lot and I'm convinced that's down to Brexit. :(

As we haven't yet left the EU, why would that be?
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    A._Badger wrote: »
    As we haven't yet left the EU, why would that be?
    There is a lot pf price speculation amongst smaller licensed wholesalers, and this has been going on for years Hold the product back, and watch inflation take place.

The games that are played with pharmaceuticals put profits first, and patients last. Brexit merely provides another excuse at this stage. When it happens, supply chain problems will be real and not imaginary.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Aldi and Lidl have always been like this. Asda, too, to a certain extent.
    Boots and Superdrug are an issue all of their own (with online, supermarket sales of cosmetics and fragrances, and local pharmacies often having better links with GPs and other services like prescription home delivery).
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    spadoosh wrote: »

Personally i find myself getting more and more annoyed at the short shelf life of their fresh vegetables.

Went on there three weeks ago and every produce product I wanted had Sunday's date (2 days later). Didn't bother checking dates on things I wasn't planning to buy. Went to Morrisons and their dates were Wed/Thurs

Fed up of the mixed cases where rooting through 3 or 4 cases and nothing of a particular flavour/variety. How does Aldi know the sale figures of each of the individual flavours? They have the same code and description on the receipt.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    njm123 wrote: »
    Think it's happening more and more at all the supermarkets (I'm well served locally so I visit several fairly regularly).

Last few months I've noticed from my usual shopping routine

Lidl - Own Brand squash always out of stock except a handful of barley water occasionally. Own Brand Condiments like Tartare Sauce have disappeared
    Tesco - Cheap plain Yoghurt has gone. Plain Pizza bases have gone.
    Aldi - Arborio Rice has gone.
    Asda - Large packs of dried pulses from Asian suppliers have gone and reduced range in smaller packs.
    Sainsburys - own brand bread has gone - except for in store bakery loaves - which are all white - no wholemeal. Meat range vastly reduced.

I suspect it's a combination of supply problems (shelve space there and empty) and making space for other lines by removing the least profitable lines. The cynic in me notices that it's usually the cheaper options that disappear.

The Sainsburys near my work still stocks own label bread and all instore bakery bread. It;s probably your own local store that has issues.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure