DBS check

Options
I recently got a new job in the finance sector and they’ve carried out a credit check and a DBS check. There was nothing to disclose as I didn’t fill in an application form to get the job and they never asked me anything regarding it. I got my DBS back and I’ve got battery and criminal Damage on it.

I’m frightened to give it in and my dad said expect the worse, it was just a stupid bar incident.

Should I just resign and get a new role ?

Comments

• Ms_Chocaholic
    Ms_Chocaholic Posts: 12,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    How many years ago were the convictions?
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
    You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
  • AusAaron
    AusAaron Posts: 10 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It was June 2018
  • Mrsn
    Mrsn Posts: 1,430 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I think a lot of this will depend on how long ago the charges were made.... your dad is just trying to prepare you, it doesn’t mean it will happen but you need to be realistic
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    If you didn’t complete an application form or weren’t asked to disclose before they performed the check than you haven’t done anything wrong in that respect.

You just need to be prepared for what might come next.

Remember having a criminal record is not a bar to employment, it will come down to what the role is, what the conviction was for, the penalty or sentence you received, circumstances and individual company policy.

Hand it in and see what happens.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,028 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Talk to NACRO and get advice about the best way to disclose. And find out who, precisely, needs to see this to make the decision. Rather than just handing it in with your fingers crossed, you need to have a grovelling mitigation and apology with it, "I know I was very stupid, this was completely out of character and it will never happen again' kind of thing.

Also was it a conviction or a caution? As in, did it go to court and you pleaded or were found guilty, or did the policy say "we can just caution you and this will all go away"?
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • AusAaron
    AusAaron Posts: 10 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I got community service which has now been done. Called NACRO and they said go to HR and explain. The situation.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,750 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You must have completed the DBS form though. That would have been the best time to mention it, not waiting till it came through.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,162 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    They may well be more concerned with financial impropriety than other aspects.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Surprised you got anything back from a DBS check so hope this isn't a wind up.
    My experience when in Insurance was that as I actually hadn't paid for a DBS the paper from the check went straight to screening company.

The only times I've received anything was when I actually paid DBS fee to the new employer to be. Far from the must be very clean financial industry.

Yes I would prepare to resign.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I’ve always had a paper version through the post when even I haven’t been the one to pay for the check.

Don’t be prepared to resign just yet.

Talk it through with them.

If the conviction is not relevant to the role they may not be bothered.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure