Selling babies clothes - car boot sale?

Options
We've got a load of baby clothes (0-24m) that we no longer need so was thinking of selling them to make a bit of cash.

I've seen on eBay they sell whole bags for only a few quid. Is that just because there isn't a demand for them, or no one wants to buy baby clothes without seeing them?

Was thinking of doing a boot sale with every piece being 20p or something like that. Anyone had any experience of doing something similar?

Comments

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,207 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Try Facebook marketplace and local selling groups first, baby clothes do sell, mainly in bundles quite cheaply, but if you can get a local buyer with cash on collection you will be better off than having to worry about eBay fees, and managing postage.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • sn1987a
    sn1987a Posts: 453 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    People that want to buy clothes for their babies wouln't consider a car boot sale as their first option. 20p is a great price. Not everything on ebay goes cheaply. Basic things like plain vests are cheap to buy new, so some people wouldn't consider used ones. I stopped buying from ebay because a lot of the clothes were too worn, stained or/and the bundles included items that I didn't really need. If you are happy to sell each item 20p, I don't see why you can't use ebay and set the starting price. Facebook marketplace is also good. You can join pages with local mums to increase your chances.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,207 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    sn1987a wrote: »
    People that want to buy clothes for their babies wouln't consider a car boot sale as their first option. 20p is a great price. Not everything on ebay goes cheaply. Basic things like plain vests are cheap to buy new, so some people wouldn't consider used ones. I stopped buying from ebay because a lot of the clothes were too worn, stained or/and the bundles included items that I didn't really need. If you are happy to sell each item 20p, I don't see why you can't use ebay and set the starting price. Facebook marketplace is also good. You can join pages with local mums to increase your chances.

There is absolutely no point in selling 20p items on eBay , might as well give them a charity shop. By the time you have photographed them, listed them (with all and every fault and mark) , weighed them and measured them for postage you are probably looking at 15-20 minutes or so. Then to achieve 20p seller would have to charge say £1.30 for 2nd class large letter over 100g. Then to the 20p add all the eBay and PayPal fees, so say 28p, plus enough for packaging, and that 20p item is goi g to cost the buyer around £2.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • sn1987a
    sn1987a Posts: 453 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    soolin wrote: »
    There is absolutely no point in selling 20p items on eBay , might as well give them a charity shop. By the time you have photographed them, listed them (with all and every fault and mark) , weighed them and measured them for postage you are probably looking at 15-20 minutes or so. Then to achieve 20p seller would have to charge say £1.30 for 2nd class large letter over 100g. Then to the 20p add all the eBay and PayPal fees, so say 28p, plus enough for packaging, and that 20p item is goi g to cost the buyer around £2.

It's quicker than you think. If you have a look at baby bundles sold on eBay, sellers just make general comments, e.g. good used condition or a few stains in som, no need to list everything. Some have just one photo with the clothes on a sofa. The op doesn't have to sell them for 20p each on eBay. Still quicker than spending a few hours on a car boot sale, not knowing if the items will be sold and paying entrance fees.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure