Spilt fair many delayed and cancelled trains, who do I claim compensation from?!

Options
Bear with me on this. It may get confusing.

My brother and I planned to go from Leeds to market harbough via the following route

Leeds-derby (cross country)
Derby-leicester (East Midlands)
Leicester-market harbrough (East Midlands)

We bought spilt tickets
Leeds-sheffield
Sheffield-market harbrough
(The Leeds Derby leg of our journey stopped in Sheffield)

We planned to get the 7.11 train from Leeds arriving in market harbrough at 9.51 (we already knew a train was cancelled that would have got us there for 9.30 as we were buying tickets)

Train 1. Was delayed and arrived at 8.00 meaning we missed our connections and the earliest we could arrive was 10.51 (which was also delayed and arrived at 11.05) - this part then being the fault of East Midlands?

At this point I understand I would request compensation from cross country?

But then...
When we arrived at derby. We were informed that our 3rd train (Leicester to mh) and subsequent for the near future, would not be stopping in Leicester due to an emergency services in attendance. Train sites advised to instead change journey to
Derby -nottingham (cross country)
Nottingham - market harbrough (east Midlands) (the same trian we would have been getting in Leicester but that was now bypassing Leicester station)

On route to Nottingham the train was delayed, meaning we arrived in Nottingham at the same time our next train was leaving missing our connection to mh
(There was originally a 7 minute connection and a simple transfer on the station)

Finally got on a train to mh at 11.12 (due to arrive at 11.50) which was then delayed and arrived MH at 12.21 (east Midlands)

My question is do I try to claim for the 2 and a half hour delay (and if so to which train company)

Or just keep it simple and complain for the hour and 10 (which would be less compensation but easier to understand)and again to which compan

And for either will the spilt ticket affect this, we followed restrictions on the ticket and did stop at sheffield

Comments

• daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,521 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    The fact it is split tickets makes no difference to process.

You are entitled to a delay repay on the full cost of the tickets from the first company which resulted in the delay, the operator of the 7.11.
  • Laumade
    Options
    Thank you!

Is this still the case as the final delay (that pushed it over the 2 hour mark) was due to a different company?
    Probably should have mentioned that all previous trains I could have caught if my first train had been on time were eventually cancelled.
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,521 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    It doesn't matter if there were subsequent delays.

Concentrate on the company which caused the first delay and go through their process.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure