EasyJet 'new' policy on CPAP machines

Options
Never had a problem with EasyJet about carrying my CPAP machine as medical equipment hand-luggage for several years, until now.

Prior to now, I've carried a letter from my CPAP Clinic every time I've flown with my machine.

Having not flown with them since last year, and a few trips in the coming months that involve them, I thought I'd check that nothing had changed.
Did the same with BA, as they're involved with 'bucket list' trips.

EasyJet come back to me stating -
"The policy remains the same as before, please make sure you have a medical letter, headed paper, signed and no older than 3 months. If you are unable to obtain this, your cpap machine will be placed in the hold and you will be charged."

Now that’s a new policy to me, as my latest medical letter is dated February 2017, and I have a message from EasyJet from March 2018 stating there had been no change to their policy at that particular time.
So I continued to use my 2017 letter.

Their website makes no mention of this “no older than 3 months” letter being required.

Placing my CPAP machine in the hold would damage it, hence it needing to be carried as hand-luggage.

Having replied to them and not got a reply, I messaged them again a couple of times, with no success.

Got a call from EasyJet this evening.
Not the best of conversations for them, as the lass could only give the reason as to why the policy had been changed being that airports had made the request of Easyjet !!
I asked which ones, but didn’t get an answer naming any !
She stuck by the no older than 3 month s letter.

None of the other airlines I’ll be using have made this request.
At the most, they’ve asked for dimensions of the machine, but not the holdall it’s carried in, go figure !!!

So my questions, eventually, are these –

Anyone else come across this ?

Has anyone else had to do this with EasyJet ?

Does any other airline have this policy ?

Does anyone know when this policy was introduced and by whom ?

Thanks for looking in and apologies for the ‘War and Peace’ version of it.
:D
Baby-Mechanic

The only reason I keep smiling is so that people wonder what I've been up to !!

Comments

• Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,159 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Can you not get a new letter from the clinic and this will remove the problem.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • baby-mechanic
    Options
    Ganga wrote: »
    Can you not get a new letter from the clinic and this will remove the problem.

I understand what you're saying, but it's the who, what, why and when that I'm questioning, and I'm feeling bullied into doing as they say when no-one else appears to be doing the same.

My clinic are more than happy to provide a new letter for me, having spoke with them this morning.

It's the fact that I will need another letter by the end of the year, meaning the possibility of four letters a year, and my clinic were not aware of such a request by any airline.

Apologies if this comes across as a rant ...
    It isn't in my eyes
    Baby-Mechanic

• flea72
    flea72 Posts: 5,392 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I have never had a letter dated within 3m from my consultant. I Just ring medical assistance a few weeks before the flight and they email me a clearance letter. As for putting in hold, its not the risk of damage, its the fact it can get lost, and the detrimental affect to your health from not using it.
  • baby-mechanic
    Options
    I am in possession of my medical letter, and a copies of emails from the airline confirming I can take it as hand luggage.

I was told by my clinic that it will be damaged in the hold, but understand what you've said.
    Baby-Mechanic

• OzzieTheKat
    Options
    Hi, from memory I researched this a few years back and it is covered under the Geneva Convention for Personal Essential Medical Equipment. As such, no airline is allowed to included it in your baggage charges, or, include it as a bag by cost in the flight whatsoever. The bag MUST BE CLEARLY LABELLED AS MEDICAL EQUIPMENT. Fanally, you do not need a letter of authority to carry your own medical equipment, that is private and personal under the Geneva Convention. They have the right to inspect it which is fair enough, but all this bull sh++ I read up 25 years ago & have flown to about 10-15 countries without issue. If you want to use your CPAP on a flight(long haul) then do let the airline know well in advance so they can get you in an appropriate seat with the correct power nearby. I hope this clarify the situation. Please remember to be reasonable keep bags as small as possible with only CPAP in it or it will end up in the hold & you will be charged!
    This has worked for me over many years without issue. The Geneva Convention Rules for airlines are very clear as are disability rules. You cannot charge a wheelchair user for his wheelchair, well neither can you charge us for our medical equipment!
    Jon Spencer
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport