We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Mortgage Newbie - Fixed Term periods

Hi,

I am looking for my first mortgage and would like some guidance regarding fixed term durations.

I have been given quotes by a broker for a 2 year fixed at 1.74% initial or a 5 year fixed at 2.04% initial.

I keep reading that interest rates are predicted to increase, especially if Brexit sorts itself out. I don't plan on leaving the house in the next 5 years or so, but would like to know if a 5 year deal is likely to be better value than the 2 year? E.g. would a 0.25% increase in the bank of England base rate in the next couple of years result in higher fixed rates when remortgaging after a 2 year fixed period, than if sticking with the 5 year rate for longer certainty. Plus, i would assume i would have to pay additional arrangement fees after 2 years if remortgaging. I would be keen to hear peoples experiences?

Comments

  • pramsay13
    pramsay13 Posts: 2,226 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    There is a lot of ifs, buts and maybes but the only reason I would fix for the 2 years rather than 5 there is if I was planning on moving or if I thought the interest rates would drop.

    If the 5 year is affordable and you think interest rates will stay the same or rise it would be worth fixing for the 5 years.
  • amnblog
    amnblog Posts: 12,791 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Consider

    How long you intend to be in the property - all things being equal
    (this sets the maximum term of product to select)

    How long you would prefer to have the stability of a fixed rate
    (this indicates the suitable product term)

    Anything else is second guessing the market, and may prove advantageous, or may not.
    I am a Mortgage Broker

    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.