PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Daughter Starting Uni?

Options

Comments

• Katgoddess
    Katgoddess Posts: 1,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    packet of condoms. i know you prob dont want to think about your baby girl doing the horizontal, but if she's going to do it, she's going to do it, and im sure you'd rather her be safe and careful than drop out because she's got pregnant.

Probably the embarassment factor of knowing you might ask if the condoms have been used might put her off sex in the first place. ;)
  • crana999
    crana999 Posts: 573 Forumite
    Options
    Hah, if i was a parent I'd be scared she'd hand them back and go "Thanks, but no thanks. I only use Durex, not Superdrug Own Brand. And I prefer ribbed"
  • pavlovs_dog
    pavlovs_dog Posts: 10,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    ok, ok...so its a selection pack on the condoms :D
    know thyself
    Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...
  • crana999
    Options
    ok, ok...so its a selection pack on the condoms :D

LOL! Good one, thanks for thr laugh (much needed, in the midst of maths revision...are your exams over? (Sorry to go OT) )
  • chardonnay_2
    chardonnay_2 Posts: 2,201 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    re the condoms. there will probably be a family planning clinic or similar close by. they will also have a student health service. the f.p.c give out free condoms, quite often they are by the door so you don't even have to ask. this is where you would be able to get the morning after pill if ever needed. might be worth talking to her about or putting a little note in her bag
    :love: married to the man of my dreams! 9-08-09:love:
  • pavlovs_dog
    Options
    in all fairness to them as well, there is usually a very big and noticeable presence of the student support services at freshers fayre...i'll never forget cos they gave me a chocolate flavoured condom in a little folder with loads of details about safe sex, stds, emergency contraception etc.i would have preferred strawberry, but thats another story ;) :rotfl:
    know thyself
  • crana999
    Options
    student unions usually do as well. unless you're in cambridge. the university doesn't give them out here. probably because every minute you're using them is one minute you COULD BE WORKING!
  • pavlovs_dog
    Options
    another thing to take is a nice warm coat and a brolly.

in their rush to take all their cool and glam going out clothes, most people soon forget how quickly september turns into autumn and winter...and there's something about campuses, they seem to have a design flaw in that they channel wind. perhaps a funky hat/scarf too.

(not necessarily for your hamper, but make sure she takes them)
    know thyself
  • ka7e
    ka7e Posts: 3,084 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    If you have a family address book, that she can't take with her, an address book pre-filled with relatives etc's addresses.

Also a list of relative's birthdays, maybe a selection of cards for her to send. Just so Great Aunt Mavis doesn't get in a huff and write her out of her Will :o .
    "Cheap", "Fast", "Right" -- pick two.
  • apple_mint
    apple_mint Posts: 1,102 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My daughter is in halls this year and moving into a flat with friends next year.

The Beyond Bakes Beans Cookbook has never been used :rolleyes: - perhaps it will be next year.

Extension cables are a must.

We bought a pair of logitech web cams - one for home and one for daughter. When she was first away and home sick she could log on and talk to us (and give us a wave). Nowadays she is too busy :rolleyes: but at least it is there for her to use. As second daughter goes away to Uni next year, we'll buy her one too - so they can talk to each other if not us!

Second daughter is already preparing for Uni (not even done her A level exams yet). We bought her a mini travelling kettle rather than a full size one. She's already using it to make cups of tea in her own room (practicing she says). There's not a lot of room in those rooms once they have set their computer equipment up etc.

When we took first daughter down to Uni, I popped some goodies in her room (biscuits, sweets, a bottle of wine for breaking the ice, crisps etc) along with some foods/ready meals she could make without needing a fridge to store stuff in. When she comes home, I replenish this. I also pop in shampoo, shower gel and those items every girl needs each month (these are quite expensive when you are on a student budget).

Next year I am going to do some bulk buying of toilet rolls, pasta, rice etc. for the flat. Just to get her started.
    Enjoying an MSE OS life :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport