From Squanderscouse to Savingscouse... hopefully!

in Debt free diaries
5 replies 410 views
Been a member of the forum for the past 5 years but been more of a lurker than a poster really but finally got round to starting a diary after all that time!

The forum and site have been massive helps over the past few years and have helped me go from drowning in debt to being able to save for a deposit towards our first home which we moved into last October :)

After a bit of a break (and a really REALLY stupid foray into online gambling where I managed to slip back into debt :mad:) I'm back to money saving ways and hopefully turned my back on gambling forever. Participating in a few of the challenges again and loving every minute!

Please wish me luck - I think I'm going to need it!
Bank Loan 8839/3761.16 Barclaycard4500/£1949.33 Overdraft 2000 /0
Littlewoods 7000/107.68

July NSDs 14/15

Replies

• Ilovesavin19Ilovesavin19 Forumite
    6 Posts
    Second Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Good luck. I’m a bit of a lurker on here too. Think I might have to have a looks t the challenges myself to see if I can find ways to boost savings :)
  • squanderscousesquanderscouse Forumite
    168 Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Trying to start each day in a positive way and been listening to some positive thinking affirmations in bed before getting up. I know it sounds a bit cheesy and far fetched, but it's been putting me in a much better mood of a morning and really sets me up for the day so going to continue.

Had a bit of a saving blitz this weekend - went through the freezer and cupboards and made a rough meal plan. Did a bit of batch cooking so won't be tempted to order a naughty mid-week takeaway and got some leftovers stashed to take into work for my dinners. Managed to find a massive vat of Thai carrot, coconut and lime soup at the back of the freezer too which I'm currently defrosting for our tea tomorrow and stripped and boiled the chicken from tonight's roast dinner to make chicken risotto on Tuesday. Let's hope I can continue all week in the same vein!

Cashed out a couple of £5 vouchers (Qmee and Swagbucks) and did a few more surveys. Pretty slow progress but feels good to be earning that little bit extra, especially since I've had to reduce my work hours for childcare reasons.
    Earlier went for a long walk in the countryside with all the family (which didn't go down well with the 2 older kids but hey ho!) and resisted popping into the pub for a shandy on the way home (that was really hard!) Now settling down to watch a movie with some popcorn and biccies and celebrate my thrifty successes and NSD weekend!
    I've also been doing the Sealed Pot Challenge since last year and looking forward to opening the tin in October :)
    I get paid on Friday and from this month I'm going to pay all my bills on payday so I don't get any nasty surprises. Painfully aware though that my 3 sproglets are going to all need new school uniforms out of this months and August's pay - set me back £600 last time, but hoping it will be a bit less this year as reckon they can all get another year out of their sport's kits at least.
    Anyway, better go and watch Goonies with the fam - next step is to do a proper budget. Any tips would be gratefully received!
    Littlewoods 7000/107.68

July NSDs 14/15
  • squanderscousesquanderscouse Forumite
    168 Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Thanks Ilovesavin19 - I find them a massive help, especially the take you lunch to work and No Spend Day ones. Good luck with your money saving journey too :)
    Littlewoods 7000/107.68

July NSDs 14/15
  • FootyFanDanFootyFanDan Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Hey,

Just wanted to pop in and wish you luck on the journey :)
  • beanieloubeanielou Forumite
    83K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Happy shiny new diary :)
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~**
    MFW. Finally mortgage free February 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Boost your Nectar points

Get up to £25 this Saturday

MSE News

Preparing for summer

What MoneySaving things can you do now to get ready?

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals