Deed Poll - Changing children's names

So I want to change the names of 2 of my kids and there seem to be too many deed poll websites. Which one is recommended/reliable? I was also told that it can be done without paying a solicitors fee?

Hoping to get this done fast and renew their passports.

Thanks.

Comments

• Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,299 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Quick Google

https://www.gov.uk/change-name-deed-poll

The government guide
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • TonyMMM
    TonyMMM Posts: 3,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 21 July 2019 at 10:42AM
    Adults don't need a website to do a deed poll it is a simple process anyone can do themselves, but for children it's more complicated.

You will need the consent of anyone with parental responsibility or if not then you need a court order, and the deed has to be enrolled (registered) through the courts.

https://www.gov.uk/change-name-deed-poll/change-a-childs-name

Assuming you have the necessary parental consent, it will cost £36 (per child) for the application - and some of the forms need to be sworn in front of a solicitor (or commissioner for oaths) who will make a charge for that.
  • dwpn00b
    dwpn00b Posts: 48 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    So there is solicitors charge?
  • TonyMMM
    TonyMMM Posts: 3,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    dwpn00b wrote: »
    So there is solicitors charge?

Yes , or to a Commissioner for Oaths, to swear/witness the forms - probably only a few pounds, if you do the actual application yourself.
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,203 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    No, you can do a change of name deed for a child just as you canfor an adult, you don't *have* to do a formal deed poll or register in either case.

You do, however, need the consent of every person with parental responsibility, which means that your children's other parent, if you were ever married to them, or if they are on the birth certificates, or if there is a court order in place, will need to agree to the change.

A swera / Statutory Declaration in front of a solicitor will cost you £5 per declaration + £2 foreach docuemtn you ned to attach,. so for 2 children a minimum of £10. You can however swear oaths or do Statutotyr Declarations in front of a Court Officer (typically counter staff at courts count) free of charge.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure