Options
124»

Comments

• theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,325 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    CashOut wrote: »
    with regular washing the trousers and shirts are about ready to throw away after a year of daily wearing, next to the jackets they are paired with they look considerably faded and deteriorated.

If you are getting through about 4 pairs of work trousers a year that is less than 60 wears each (assuming you work 5 days and have fairly normal holidays). This looks extremely low to me and I think you could probably save a lot if you got them to last longer and perhaps want to look at how you wash them for an easy win. For instance, biological detergents will shorten the life of wool and can cause more fading than non-bio.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Just to add it is up to you how you allocate your resources, you can review all the ideas and pick and choose where you cut back.

The key is to cut back enough to get the debt paid off and then plan(budget) better going forward prioritising everything and only using what you have.
  • ToeDipper
    ToeDipper Posts: 39 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    On the monthly food costs:

£200 per month is £200 x 12 months / 365 days / 3 meals a day = £2.19 per meal, rather than £1.66.

£1.66 per meal equates to £1.66 x 3 meals x 365 days / 12 months = £150ish per month.

Might be worthwhile tracking what you spend on food for a few weeks, to see where the extra is going?

If it helps, we do a weekly shop for two people at £40 per week. We put £40 x 52 weeks / 12 months = £173.33 away into our bills account for food each month and withdraw a £40 cash kitty every week. Over time we actually find that we have a little left over, enough to pay for a bonus meal out every now and then :)
  • 19lottie82
    19lottie82 Posts: 6,027 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Cheapest SIM only contract on my providers website is £13 pcm with less than sufficient data (250mb pcm)

When you’re out of contract, shop about. I’m with three and get 8gb and unlimited calls / texts for £10 a month.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure