When is the right time to order bridemaids dresses for children?

Options
My bridesmaids will be 14 and 11 by the time I get married. I'd like to get their dresses now as I have seen some I like but I know they will grow inbetween now and then. When would be the right time to get them with regards how many weeks before. If I got the ones I've seen now could I just add 2 or 3 inches onto each measurement?
2008 Comping Challenge
Won so far - £3010 Needed - £230
Debt free since Oct 2004

Comments

• black-saturn
    black-saturn Posts: 13,937 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    No ones got any idea then?
    2008 Comping Challenge
    Debt free since Oct 2004
  • paddingtondoo
    Options
    I'm in a similar position. My small bridesmaids will be 8 and 6 when we get married and have seen some lovely ones half price in Woolworths. DD has already grown out of the school trousers I bought her in September!

If you have to order them some places ask for 13 weeks for delivery and they can really shoot up in 3 months. Could you perhaps find full length ones now and then have them shortened to tea length for the day and get a style that could be taken in by a sash at the waist if necessary? Might not be an option depending on what style you were thinking of.

I'm considering getting them too big and then having them altered if necessary. Fortunately my friend is a dab hand with a sewing machine although she has also volunteered to make the cake and arrange the flowers so am trying not to put any more on her.

When I got married before my aunt made all the dresses and was finishing them off on the morning of the wedding which I could really have done without - lol.

When's the big day?
    Officially a non-smoker but still rounder than recommended :p
  • black-saturn
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The big day isn't until September so I have a while to go yet.
    2008 Comping Challenge
    Debt free since Oct 2004
  • iwanttosave_2
    iwanttosave_2 Posts: 34,292 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'd get them at least a size bigger, then just get them altered if they are too big when the time comes. Unless they have a bg growth spurt then they should be ok.
    Work like you don't need money,
    Love like you've never been hurt,
    And dance like no one's watching
    Save the cheerleader, save the world!
  • ikkleosu
    ikkleosu Posts: 546 Forumite
    Options
    I'm having 2 TINY flowergirls - one will be 12 months and one will be 2 - so I have the same problem. The dresses aren't too bad because I can just buy them by the age they will be, but I can't buy shoes until IMo about a month before as they are both growing like veg!

My problem is mainly though that I am having trouble finding matching dresses for those ages - baby dresses seem to stop at 18 months and toddler dresses don't go lower than 2!
  • paddingtondoo
    Options
    I have just had a little trawl round and see what you mean about the baby/toddler dress problem.

Did manage to find this one but not sure what you're looking for
    http://www.monsoon.co.uk/invt/25800826

x
    Officially a non-smoker but still rounder than recommended :p
  • black-saturn
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You could also try Vertbaudet. I took my children to an event where I wanted them to wear the same outfit when they were little and the only place that did matching outfits for all ages was Vertbaudet. Their prices are quite reasonable too. They even do matching adult outfits if you want to go that far!!!

Going by the age isn't going to work for me as my 13 year old currently takes a size 16 and is 5ft 8 tall and my 10 year old takes a size 12.
    2008 Comping Challenge
    Debt free since Oct 2004
  • Olliebeak
    Olliebeak Posts: 3,167 Forumite
    Options
    Sometimes with bridesmaids of differing ages/sizes it's a good idea to have the same colour of fabric but slightly different styles to account for the age gap. i.e. you can't have a shaped neckline/fitted bodice/straight skirt on a toddler - nor can you have puffy sleeves/sticky out skirts on a teenager. Even two bridesmaids of similar age but greatly different body shapes can pose a problem - the last thing you want to do is to force somebody to wear a style that does nothing for their figure. BUT you can bring the chosen styles together by having the same (or similar) colours/shades/tones.
  • Lemon_Tree
    Lemon_Tree Posts: 10,202 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    hi my wedding is september as well and i've got the little bridesmaids their dresses, i just got a size or two bigger, one grows more slowely than the other so they should be ok as i factored that it. Plus i took their mum with me so it's her fault if they don't fit lol
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure