Complained about boss for bullying and now facing disciplinary

Coastie
Coastie Posts: 19 Forumite
For the last eight months I have been bullied by my boss as he has just employed his friend and wants me to leave so he can take on my role. I have been employed for 11 years in the same post and have an excellent work record. I made a complaint about my boss to his manager that resulted in a grievance hearing that was informally resolved. My boss was better for a few weeks but it started to go down hill again. I then applied for another job and was accepted but had to wait 6 weeks to go through vetting checks. I told my boss that I was going to leave in about 6 weeks time and would clear up any outstanding work. I had 40 days leave to take as I had carried over several from the previous year. After making sure that my decks were clear I put in to annual leave that was refused by my boss without good reason. He then refused to explain or even speak to me. I then resigned giving 30 days notice. This caused me a lot of stress and went to the doctors as I had chest pains. The doctor said that I had very high blood pressure and was at risk of having a heart attack. The doctor then signed me off sick with stress which covered me until the last day of my employment. I emailed my sick certificate into HR and explained that I had high blood pressure due to work related stress brought on by my bullying boss.
Today I received a letter from bosses manager saying that I was being investigated for gross misconduct (counter allegation from my boss and its nature has not been disclosed) and my sickness would not stop the investigation and it would be completed before my last day of employment with them. I am so stressed out by this my blood pressure has gone through the roof.
As my new employment has been secured and references are not required, should I assist with the investigation? I know I have done nothing wrong but I am worried that I could have a full on heart attack.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• ska_lover
    ska_lover Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I would be very tempted to photo copy my rear end, and email it to them

What kind of company spends man hours investigating a member of staffs conduct, when they are leaving anyway?

They have behaved appaulingly. In effect you have been managed out, so he can get his friend in - and now they are sticking the boot in

No you should not assist, tell them to F off, Seriously, You do not owe them anything

This sounds strong, I know, but this train of thinking, is good closure for you - let them investigate all they bloody well like

You need to relax, for your own wellbeing and health
    The opposite of what you know...is also true
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,323 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I thinks its simpler, don't have a reason to stay and every reason to leave, full stop.
  • BrassicWoman
    BrassicWoman Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    It depends what line of work you are in and how likely it is future employers beyond your current one will go far back for references. Teacher? Lawyer? Accountant? Get your name clear.

Also check your home insurance to see if you have any legal cover. Lawyers can help make this go away.
    2021 GC £1365.71/ £2400
  • JamoLew
    JamoLew Posts: 1,800 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Life is too short already without worrying over things that don't really matter any more.
    You have a new job to go to.
    What's the worst they can do via the disciplinary ? Sack you ? You are under no obligation at all to engage with this process if you don't want to
    Sounds like you made a timely escape
    Any company that lets you accrue 40 days holiday is probably a very "one sided" one anyway - you will be owed for this time btw, make sure you get paid for it
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    What have you been getting paid while off sick?

You may be due full pay for the last week.

Point out to them the refusal by the boss to let you take the holiday has cost them money.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    If it were me. I would be tempted to meet with HR and lay everything out warts & all.
    Not the disciplinary,but the reason you have left your job and what has happened.
  • Coastie
    custardy wrote: »
    If it were me. I would be tempted to meet with HR and lay everything out warts & all.
    Not the disciplinary,but the reason you have left your job and what has happened.

I emailed them with the complaint about bullying but they have chosen to ignore it.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Coastie wrote: »
    I emailed them with the complaint about bullying but they have chosen to ignore it.

thats why I said meet. If they want to willie wave an ex employee disciplinary.
    Then that requires a face to face meet.
  • Ja7188
    Ja7188 Posts: 336 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    I then applied for another job and was accepted but had to wait 6 weeks to go through vetting checks. I told my boss that I was going to leave in about 6 weeks time and would clear up any outstanding work. I had 40 days leave to take as I had carried over several from the previous year. After making sure that my decks were clear I put in to annual leave that was refused by my boss without good reason. He then refused to explain or even speak to me. I then resigned giving 30 days notice.

Not quite clear on the timescales here - but the way I'm reading it is that you were offered the new job, told your boss you were leaving in about 6 weeks from that point but didn't actually resign - you then did some clearing up and then formally resigned, giving 30 days' notice, about 10 days after you said you were leaving - which would have meant a departure date of around 6 weeks from when you said you were leaving. Is all this correct...?

Are you sure you have 40 days' annual leave to take? This figure would suggest a large number of days being carried over from last holiday year - and I don't think many employers allow more than 5 to carry from one year to the next...
    Today I received a letter from bosses manager saying that I was being investigated for gross misconduct (counter allegation from my boss and its nature has not been disclosed) and my sickness would not stop the investigation and it would be completed before my last day of employment with them. I am so stressed out by this my blood pressure has gone through the roof.

Something doesn't add up here - the company wants you gone, you've resigned and in less than 30 days' time, you'll have left - so why would they want to conduct a disciplinary investigation and potentially dismiss for gross misconduct, therefore exposing themselves to action for unfair dismissal?

Have you actually done anything that could be considered gross misconduct? There should be a list of actions that would fall under this category in the company handbook...
  • Coastie
    My company allows you to carry over 10 days.
    I didn’t actually resign until my vetting was cleared. Once that had happened I resigned and applied for annual leave for some of my 30 day resignation period. That was refused without good reason as the boss was being malicious. As I had cleared the decks there was nothing for me to do but sit at my desk and get more abuse from my boss.
    As I had chest pains I went to the Doc and he confirmed that my blood pressure was through the roof and said I was unfit to work due to stress. I then emailed my sick note into Hr and told them this was brought on by work related stress from my bullying boss. They decided not to peruse this allegation as I was leaving but instead listened to my boss who has fabricated some allegations that have not been disclosed to me until the investigation manager contacts me. I have 3 weeks left of my notice to serve.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure