Forum Home» Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning

It's time to start digging up those Squirrelled Nuts!!!! - Page 3

New Post Advanced Search

It's time to start digging up those Squirrelled Nuts!!!!

1.2K replies 164.2K views

Replies

• edited 1 July 2019 at 9:07PM
    BoxerfanUKBoxerfanUK Forumite
    575 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭
    edited 1 July 2019 at 9:07PM
    Is it just me, or does anyone else feel like 'less is more' as you get older? Spent most of my life accumulating things as indeed we all do, but seem to spend more time getting rid of 'stuff' lately and weirdly, I feel much better for it. It seems to de-clutter my mind.:)

Don't get me wrong, we are certainly not hoarders or anywhere near packed to the rafters, but just getting rid of stuff we don't use anymore that's just taking up space I'm finding really satisfying.

We still like nice things of course, and if we really want something we buy it, but I'm getting as much pleasure out of letting go as I do from 'acquiring'. Find myself walking around the house or up in the loft thinking 'what can I get rid of next' :rotfl:
  • m_c_sm_c_s Forumite
    196 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    BoxerfanUK wrote: »
    Find myself walking around the house or up in the loft thinking 'what can I get rid of next' :rotfl:
    Same here but one needs to be careful to only consider inanimate objects at times!
  • BoxerfanUKBoxerfanUK Forumite
    575 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭
    m_c_s wrote: »
    Same here but one needs to be careful to only consider inanimate objects at times!
    Haha m_c_s very good :T
  • fred246fred246 Forumite
    2.6K posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sea_Shell wrote: »
    Luckily our IFA is a family friend, so a meal and a bottle of wine cover their fees!!!

The normal fee for an IFA is 0.5% apparently. You should be paying £2680 every year. Needed to cover all the overheads and expenses apparently. Are you giving him a meal and a bottle of wine every week?
  • edited 2 July 2019 at 6:56AM
    Sea_ShellSea_Shell Forumite
    3.9K posts
    1,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper Hung up my suit!
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 2 July 2019 at 6:56AM
    BoxerfanUK wrote: »
    Is it just me, or does anyone else feel like 'less is more' as you get older? Spent most of my life accumulating things as indeed we all do, but seem to spend more time getting rid of 'stuff' lately and weirdly, I feel much better for it. It seems to de-clutter my mind.:)

Don't get me wrong, we are certainly not hoarders or anywhere near packed to the rafters, but just getting rid of stuff we don't use anymore that's just taking up space I'm finding really satisfying.

We still like nice things of course, and if we really want something we buy it, but I'm getting as much pleasure out of letting go as I do from 'acquiring'. Find myself walking around the house or up in the loft thinking 'what can I get rid of next' :rotfl:

Yes, we have stopped buying stuff, and always ask, do we really NEED this. I think that's partly why our spends are so low. And if it genuinely is a replacement item (clothes etc.) then I have a "one in, one out" policy too.;)

I'm actually going to brave the world of e-bay once I've got more time on my hands, as there must be stuff we can get a couple of quid for too.
    " That pound I saved yesterday, is a pound I don't have to earn tomorrow ":beer: JOB DONE!!
    This should now read "It's time to start digging up those Squirrelled Nuts"!!! :j:j:j
  • Sea_ShellSea_Shell Forumite
    3.9K posts
    1,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper Hung up my suit!
    ✭✭✭✭
    fred246 wrote: »
    The normal fee for an IFA is 0.5% apparently. You should be paying £2680 every year. Needed to cover all the overheads and expenses apparently. Are you giving him a meal and a bottle of wine every week?

Sorry, are you joking or being serious? No winky emoji??

Like a said, they don't actually manage any investments or anything for us, just popped round to have a general overview of the figures and the plan and said, yep, you seem to have everything in hand. So no, we don't pay them a fee.:D
    " That pound I saved yesterday, is a pound I don't have to earn tomorrow ":beer: JOB DONE!!
    This should now read "It's time to start digging up those Squirrelled Nuts"!!! :j:j:j
  • Anonymous101Anonymous101 Forumite
    1.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Sea_Shell wrote: »
    Yes, we have stopped buying stuff, and always ask, do we really NEED this. I think that's partly why our spends are so low. And if it genuinely is a replacement item (clothes etc.) then I have a "one in, one out" policy too.;)

I'm actually going to brave the world of e-bay once I've got more time on my hands, as there must be stuff we can get a couple of quid for too.

Sites like e-bay are great for furniture recycling. I've been an ebayer for years, I'd much prefer to let someone who wants what I don't have it. Plus there's the added bonus of a bit of money for me and quite often they'll come and collect too so saves a tip run.
  • Spider_In_The_BathSpider_In_The_Bath Forumite
    1.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭
    Audaxer wrote: »
    ...I'm amazed as our annual spend is much higher than that even although I do monitor our spending closely, and I do not consider us as big spenders.

We live on about 18 thousand a year. Everything else we earn is saved for FIRE (hopefully in about 5 years' time).

We run two cars, have a pet, go on holidays and days out etc. easily on the 18 thousand.

When I see people wanting retirement funds of 30 - 40 thousand a year I have no idea what they would spend the money on.
  • Anonymous101Anonymous101 Forumite
    1.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    We live on about 18 thousand a year. Everything else we earn is saved for FIRE (hopefully in about 5 years' time).

We run two cars, have a pet, go on holidays and days out etc. easily on the 18 thousand.

When I see people wanting retirement funds of 30 - 40 thousand a year I have no idea what they would spend the money on.

We follow an FI lifestyle, expect to retire in our 40's and think we are fairly conservative in our spending... Yet we are spending £40k per year as a couple. Even when our mortgage is paid off I'd expect we'd be around £30k per year. That's being conservative with cars and holidays, not living in a huge house and keeping a lid of food bill. We don't eat out all that often or drink excessively. I can easily see how people can be spending twice what we are.
  • shinytopshinytop Forumite
    806 posts
    500 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭

The same as people working. Big SUV, expensive meals out, latest iphone/gadget, shoes, handbags...