Understanding Erudio and arrears

MissrcjMissrcj Forumite
14 Posts
Fourth Anniversary
Forumite
Hello

Can anyone help me with this post I put on another forum about Erudio?

Over the years I have got myself in various pickles with debts and not taking control of my finances. I also had the mortgage styles student loans (didn’t know this until Erudio told me) but I just thought they would take money out of my account when I earned a certain pay threshold. Being irresponsible I never looked into this further. However, I got caught when I went back to university in my 30s as I was told I could take out another loan. Student loans company said they’d been trying to contact me about a previous loan and instead of being able to take out a new loan I got told I had to pay the old loans back as they were now in arrears. I was worried they would send bailiffs around and I lived with a friend so didn’t want that to happen and for them to try and take her stuff. I have been paying Erudio back with a minumum amount ever since. Since finishing uni I got into further debt - took out a loan to buy a car, car kept breaking down, took out credit cards to pay for car repairs, car was declared unfit for purpose and I lost over 1k etc etc . I have been trying to pay my debts back and am using step change but with my Erudio debt it is going to take me until 2035 I will be nearly 60!, I still don’t earn 25 k and started paying this back when I was actually earning 10k whilst in university. I offered them a minimum payment today (which was very low but I am poor ) , I have repaid 10% of the overall debt already; however, they have refused it. They say they will hold the account for me but I don’t know what this means. Can I keep them holding the account until these debts get wiped as I have been reading or have I ruined that now by starting to make repayments? Any help is greatly received. I just want to be able to move on, clear my smaller debts and actually start saving at the grand old age of 40. Am I going to have this Erudio debt hanging over me until I’m 60??
Thank you in advance for any advice
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Boost your Nectar points

Get up to £25 this Saturday

MSE News

Preparing for summer

What MoneySaving things can you do now to get ready?

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals