The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

Megabus and disabled travellers

Megabus Rant.
Megabus will not allow me to see if I can fit on their bus without buying a ticket with my electric wheelchair. I have been given the dimensions but it is close to the limits so need to try before I buy so to speak.Absolutely discusting.

Comments

• forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,517
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    How close? What are your measurements whilst seated in the chair?
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,578
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Can you get the train?
    The new GWR trains that I travel on have the disabled facility in 1st class, but you don’t need to pay for 1st class.
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 28 June 2019 at 8:57PM
    They don't want you! - I can remember back to the days when Soutar and Gloag actually worked their own buses and the very last thing they wanted was any kind of awkward passenger.
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,271
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    stevecb wrote: »
    Megabus Rant.
    Megabus will not allow me to see if I can fit on their bus without buying a ticket with my electric wheelchair. I have been given the dimensions but it is close to the limits so need to try before I buy so to speak.Absolutely discusting.

What do you want them to do?

Pull a bus out of service to allow you to try to get your wheelchair in and out
    Or maybe delay paying passengers for 10-15 minutes while you try it out for free?

Or do you want a free trial journey?
  • Mr_Singleton
    Mr_Singleton Posts: 1,891 Forumite
    unforeseen wrote: »
    What do you want them to do?
    Pull a bus out of service to allow you to try to get your wheelchair in and out

The entitlement culture at it's very best.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Megabus is a super-cheap bus for cheap travel. No frills.

They won't even know until the actual day which actual bus will be used on the route. Even if they had "one bus, one route, one driver - we know all this stuff" it could break down the day before and be replaced, or be in an accident and no longer exist by the day of your travel.

When you buy a seat from megabus it's a bit like buying a bra from a market stall instead of M&S - it's cheap, but will it actually fit when it's time to use it?
  • Cyclamen
    Cyclamen Posts: 641
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    A few years ago my local bus from town home was sat waiting at bus stop in town. It had arrived early and engine was off.. I asked driver about wheelchair access as i was new to wheelchair and unsure.. he went above and beyond, opened ramp and gave me time to 'practice' getting the wheelchair into the space.. this was very kind and I realise not something that can be organsied and planned for.

So it's a bit obscure but is there somewhere near you where the bus stops for a 'loo break' or changeover that you could go an dlook at it?

Could you post on the wheelchair user forums that you have 'make model wheels' and ask if anyone has used a megabus?
  • Hasbeen
    Hasbeen Posts: 4,404
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    stevecb wrote: »
    Megabus Rant.

They are allowing you. Buy the ticket and see if it fits. Your choice.

Also look up the meaning of Narcissistic entitlement.:)
    The world is not ruined by the wickedness of the wicked, but by the weakness of the good. Napoleon
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure