24hr ECG and blood pressure monitor

Options
Long stort short im currently in hospital waiting on an echocardiogram, and been told i need a 24hr ECG and blood pressure monitor fitted to take home. Anyone had them fitted and what were your experience of them?

Also been told if the scan isnt done today it will be Monday as Cardiology department close on weekends. So if you are rushed in and need a scan your out of luck? Seems crazy it arent 7 days a week

Comments

• Old_Grey_Mare
    Options
    I’ve had both fitted although not at the same time. The ECG (mine was a spider flash monitor) was fitted at a private hospital and was worn for four days. Upon recommendation I wore a tight t-shirt at bedtime to keep all the wires in place which helped a lot. I didn’t sleep very well though.

The blood pressure monitor was worn for 24 hours and attached to a belt round the waist. Still not easy to sleep as it went off every 30 minutes and woke me up. You aren’t supposed to drive while wearing it.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,131 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    bobblebob wrote: »
    Long stort short im currently in hospital waiting on an echocardiogram, and been told i need a 24hr ECG and blood pressure monitor fitted to take home. Anyone had them fitted and what were your experience of them?

Also been told if the scan isnt done today it will be Monday as Cardiology department close on weekends. So if you are rushed in and need a scan your out of luck? Seems crazy it arent 7 days a week

There will be somebody available for emergencies but not for routine cases.
  • BananaRepublic
    BananaRepublic Posts: 2,103 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I wore a portable heart monitor for 24 hours. It looked like an old style Sony Walkman, with straps and cables which were stuck to my chest. Apparently they are quite expensive. They were very insistent that I return it ASAP.
  • bobblebob
    bobblebob Posts: 1,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I was on ticagrelor while in hospital/ 1 side effect is shortness of breath which i have. The other is high blood pressure. So thats why its high :D
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 4,176 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I've had the 24hr blood pressure done. Was a nuisance at night trying to sleep. Getting tangled in wires and then it going off all the time.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,759 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Parent had the blood pressure one. She didn't mention it particularly bothering her and was quite pleased it showed her high blood pressure readings were down to white coat syndrome.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • bobblebob
    Options
    elsien wrote: »
    Parent had the blood pressure one. She didn't mention it particularly bothering her and was quite pleased it showed her high blood pressure readings were down to white coat syndrome.

Cant you remember what he readings were in hospital? Mine are rough 140-160 / 90-100 in hospital which im hoping is down to white coat syndrome
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,759 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Can't remember the readings but they were high enough for the medics to be quite concerned.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Old_Grey_Mare
    Options
    bobblebob wrote: »
    Cant you remember what he readings were in hospital? Mine are rough 140-160 / 90-100 in hospital which im hoping is down to white coat syndrome

Mine were 180/130 when I visited the consultant and also the gp. I thought they’d put me straight on medication but they suggested the monitor. Average readings came back at 128/89 which is still slightly high but no need for medication.
  • bobblebob
    Options
    Appointment come through for the ECG. Cardiologist wanted a 48hr monitor, but the letter says its 24hrs. I have it fitted then hand it back the following day. I assume you need another appointment to discuss the results?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure