How to get rid of dried red skin patches on kneecaps

Unsure if its ezcema or not as don't get it on any part of the body - just the odd little patch on legs. Had mild cases as a child.

Had these patches on my kneecaps for a few years and applying unscented body scrub and unscented lotion is not doing anything.

I am ashamed of my knees and unable to wear shorts.

Comments

• I had an eczema on face flare up recently, (face felt like sandpaper and the red scaling) I just popped to the supermarket chemist and picked up a couple of items on special offer. I remember being pleased I'd picked up a cream and an Ointment (Diprobase Ointment Emollient, it's grease but worth it) 2 products for a fiver at well under the price of 1 E45 product alone.

Problem gone in days fortunately.

(You are also recommended to not bathe in hot water, only lukewarm).
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I use Vaseline on my knees, elbows and feet. Works a treat, although it can be a bit messy.
  • sammyjammy
    sammyjammy Posts: 7,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    If its potentially excema please don't use body scrub it will only irritate it and make it worse
    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
  • Fen1
    Fen1 Posts: 1,577 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Visit your GP. It could be anything from eczema to psoriasis to a fungal infection. You may need antibiotics or specific treatment for the cause of the patches.
    Scrubs on inflamed skin is a bad idea as it could introduce infection. It will be heightening the inflammatory response of that area, at the very least.

Get proper medical advice and a proper diagnosis.
  • jjhdee
    jjhdee Posts: 65 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I have a friend who creates her own natural skin products just to avoid making her eczema worse. I thas worked for her the past year, you might want to try looking for some recipes online and try those gentle and natural mix of products.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure