We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

New debt repayment scheme

Government has confirmed new “breathing space” period and new statutory debt repayment plans :

http://!!!!!!/Upbc30oXYx8
I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter

Comments

  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 16,380 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Interesting that should suddenly appear after panoramas programme Monday on easy credit..
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Save £12k in 2026 Challenge £12000/£10,000
    365 day 1p Challenge 2026 £667.95/£600.31
    Click on this link for a Statement of Accounts that can be posted on the DebtFree Wannabe board: https://lemonfool.co.uk/financecalculators/soa.php
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 26,373 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Bump before this slides off the page.

    And I must download and watch Panorama, too...
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00 Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    Balance as at 31/08/24 = £105,400.00 Balance as at 31/12/24 = £102,500.00
    £100k barrier broken 1/4/25
    Balance as at 31/08/25 = £ 95,450.00. Balance as at 31/12/25 = £ 91,100.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • Willing2Learn
    Willing2Learn Posts: 6,294 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    I think the principal idea is good. But it worries me that organisations such as Stepchange could see their overall funding cut as an indirect result.
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

    I love my job

    :smiley:
  • ferry
    ferry Posts: 2,020 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 20 June 2019 at 9:29PM
    Would like to see more done with help in difficulties with secured loans and the potential heavy handed practices that come with financial difficulty in this area
    There should be same if not more help and options available as there arw with unsecured debt
    Your very alone when your in difficulty and have secured debt

    Just my thoughts
    :j
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 32,947 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped! Name Dropper
    ferry wrote: »
    Would like to see more done with help in difficulties with secured loans and the potential heavy handed practices that come with financial difficulty in this area
    There should be same if not more help and options available as there arw with unsecured debt
    Your very alone when your in difficulty and have secured debt

    Just my thoughts

    Unfortunately that’s the nature of secured borrowing, when the creditors have collateral, they hold all the aces, but I agree, there should be more breathing space allowed for secured borrowers too.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Willing2Learn
    Willing2Learn Posts: 6,294 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    For anyone interested, I've just been reading the updated official government consultation on the Breathing Space and the Statutory Debt Repayment Plan. The link for the full government paperwork is below:

    https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/breathing-space-scheme-consultation-on-a-policy-proposal/breathing-space-scheme-consultation-on-a-policy-proposal#eligibility-for-the-statutory-debt-repayment-plan
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

    I love my job

    :smiley:
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 32,947 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped! Name Dropper
    For anyone interested, I've just been reading the updated official government consultation on the Breathing Space and the Statutory Debt Repayment Plan. The link for the full government paperwork is below:

    https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/breathing-space-scheme-consultation-on-a-policy-proposal/breathing-space-scheme-consultation-on-a-policy-proposal#eligibility-for-the-statutory-debt-repayment-plan


    Seven to ten years for repayment seems an awful long time, but if you have assets to protect, then i suppose you have little choice, those with no assets should be looking at other solutions it seems.


    I would has at a guess and say they may follow the scottish fee structure, or something similar, my only concern is that the fee charging DMC`s can also operate this scheme, i can just see the advertising now, first hit off Google i`ll warrent !!


    All in all its a good step forward, not perfect, people will still be lured into the fee charging companies, but it should, hopefully make a big difference to peoples lives knowing they have legal protection, no further interest or charges can be added once the plan is started, and your credit file will not suffer as badly either, so lots to be positive about.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Willing2Learn
    Willing2Learn Posts: 6,294 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    I found it particularly positive the proposal that mental health patients can access the breathing space via an assessment and referral to the "debt advice agency" from a mental health professional. It is also proposed that the breathing space protections accessed via a mental health professional would continue throughout the full length of an individual’s care under an NHS crisis team. That could make a lot of difference to a lot of people. :)
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

    I love my job

    :smiley:
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.