New Post Advanced Search

Air conditioner as room heater

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Green & Ethical MoneySaving
3 replies 2K views
Reed_RichardsReed_Richards Forumite
615 posts
✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Green & Ethical MoneySaving
We are making a workshop at the back of our detached garage and I am wondering how to heat it. I thought that an air conditioning unit, which uses a heat pump, would be more efficient form of electrical heating and therefore a greener option. Does this make sense?
Reed

Replies

• zeupaterzeupater Forumite
    5.1K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    We are making a workshop at the back of our detached garage and I am wondering how to heat it. I thought that an air conditioning unit, which uses a heat pump, would be more efficient form of electrical heating and therefore a greener option. Does this make sense?
    Hi

... possibly - make yourself a (very big) mug of coffee & wade through this thread for a couple of hours to see if it makes sense for your own project .... https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4715287

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • michaelsmichaels Forumite
    24.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So we have a portable A/C where you stick the hot exhaust out the window. With a bit of ingenuity I reckon we could stick it outside and run the exhaust back into the house - in theory as long as it wasn't too cold out this would be cheaper than running an electric heater....
    I think....
  • Martyn1981Martyn1981 Forumite
    10.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭

As per Z's post, a small A/C unit would be great.

If a smaller portable one is good enough, then they too can be bought with heat pump functions. These are the guys I got my fixed unit from, with a page of portable's (some offering heat pump abilities).
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.