We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Bus Employees Pension Scheme (B.E.S.T.) - please help

2»

Comments

  • Hi, hoping for some help! I'm trying to find out some info about the BEST/ NBPF. My mother used the tracing service in 2015 and it was traced to Standard Life, but it doesn't look like she contacted them in 2015. Sadly, my mother passed away last year and I am struggling to find out any more info. I contacted the pension tracing service again last month and they have said the scheme was bought out by Mercer and then gave me a phone number that did not go anywhere. Having read the above comment I contacted Aviva who initially helped but have now gone quiet. Could anyone give me contact details for Aviva as it seems v. difficult to get put through to the right person. Alternatively, if anyone knows if Mercer are currently managing the scheme, could they provide me details on who to contact? Thanks!
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 46,077 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Hi, hoping for some help! I'm trying to find out some info about the BEST/ NBPF. My mother used the tracing service in 2015 and it was traced to Standard Life,
    Have you tried contacting Standard Life?

    https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/5131242.pensions-battle-reaches-endgame/
  • I am a retired member of the BEST scheme having joined the scheme at inception up until its end date, where it was decided by the appointed trustees to the scheme to accept Standard Life as the preferred bidder. Any member who had not taken steps to choose their own provider to transfer to were transferred en bloc ( over 60000 )I believe, to Standard Life. There were many documents issued, especially when the case against the Government for pilfering funds from the pension scheme was going through. News letters etc. From memory I think £12000 was added to my pension pot from the £365 million pound settlement. I still have my Statement of Benefits Certificate which all qualifying members should have got from Standard Life. I would be happy to help if I can. The comments in Parliament about this settlement can be found on Hansard. It was the late John Prescott MP who finally settled this I think.
  • Jonty6262
    Jonty6262 Posts: 236 Forumite
    Third Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Cynical61 said:
    I am a retired member of the BEST scheme having joined the scheme at inception up until its end date, where it was decided by the appointed trustees to the scheme to accept Standard Life as the preferred bidder. Any member who had not taken steps to choose their own provider to transfer to were transferred en bloc ( over 60000 )I believe, to Standard Life. There were many documents issued, especially when the case against the Government for pilfering funds from the pension scheme was going through. News letters etc. From memory I think £12000 was added to my pension pot from the £365 million pound settlement. I still have my Statement of Benefits Certificate which all qualifying members should have got from Standard Life. I would be happy to help if I can. The comments in Parliament about this settlement can be found on Hansard. It was the late John Prescott MP who finally settled this I think.
    I don't think the one I'm thinking of has died. 
  • Hi, did you ever have any success?. im also been hitting brick walls for 2 years and Standard life ignore letters, e-mails and calls and deny they have any connection with the BEST bus pension scheme !

    I worked for London Country Greenline ( national bus company) until 1986 Thank you

  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 46,077 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper

    London Country Greenline ( national bus company)

    Is there any chance that your pension may be with TfL?

    Or Railpen?

  • Lewis44amg
    Lewis44amg Posts: 1 Newbie
    First Post

    Hi, I am hoping someone can help with my investigation, I also paid into the B.E.S.T. scheme between 1977 to 1983. after a lengthy time of being pointed in the wrong directions I have finally got some proof that I paid into the scheme. The HMRC have sent me a letter showing that I was contracted out from 1981 to 1983 to The B.E.S.T.

    The problem now is after all the phone calls to Standard Life who I am told handled the scheme the are saying that there is no record of my contributions or detail for this. I am not alone in this situation, two of my work colleagues have wage slips with deductions and contributions paid to the scheme. If HMRC are telling me that I was contracted out where are my contributions, and how can I claim this, If anyone can help I would be extremely grateful.

    Thank you

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.