York train station to York college

Daughter has got an offer to study at York college from September. We are out of area and she will need to commute. Getting to York train station isn't a problem., I'm then unsure where she will need to catch a bus to get to York college.

Can anyone help?

Thanks.

Comments

  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,501 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Have you looked at the College website?

    I imagine getting there is an issue for most students so it should be covered.
  • newbutold
    newbutold Posts: 752 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 11 June 2019 at 8:09PM
    I think you can get a bus from Piccadilly to the college. Askham Bar park and ride is opposite the college, so should be plenty of buses. Do check the college bus map though as it does cover a fairly wide area, we live 17 miles away and my eldest was able to get the college bus from our village.
    If my posts have random wrong words, please blame the damn autocorrect not me :D
  • yorkie2
    yorkie2 Posts: 1,595 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 10 June 2019 at 10:32PM
    Spendless wrote: »
    Daughter has got an offer to study at York college from September. We are out of area and she will need to commute. Getting to York train station isn't a problem., I'm then unsure where she will need to catch a bus to get to York college.

    Can anyone help?

    Thanks.
    Park & Ride number 3 is direct from York Rail station to Askham Bar P&R (which is almost opposite York College; use the foot/cycle path and cross the road at the pelican crossing)

    https://www.itravelyork.info/images/content-images/Buses/Park_and_Ride/Park_and_Ride_Map.png

    There are also longer distance buses that stop on the main road (e.g. Zap to Leeds, 11 to Bishopthorpe etc)
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,137 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    newbutold wrote: »
    I think you can get a bus from Piccadilly to the college. Askham Bar park and ride is opposite the college, so should be plenty of buses. Do check the college bus map though as it does cover a fairly wide area, we live 17 miles away and my eldest was able to get the college bus from our village.
    Thanks, definately no college bus. We're 40 miles away in a different county but the course she wants to do is considered the best in the region.
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,137 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    yorkie2 wrote: »
    Park & Ride number 3 is direct from York Rail station to Askham Bar P&R (which is almost opposite York College; use the foot/cycle path and cross the road at the pelican crossing)

    https://www.itravelyork.info/images/content-images/Buses/Park_and_Ride/Park_and_Ride_Map.png

    There are also longer distance buses that stop on the main road (e.g. Zap to Leeds, 11 to Bishopthorpe etc)
    Cheers, we'll use this on college open day.
  • yorkie2
    yorkie2 Posts: 1,595 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    No problem. If travelling by train, the PlusBus add-on is £3.50 for one day (season discounts are available) which covers any bus in the York area
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,137 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    yorkie2 wrote: »
    Park & Ride number 3 is direct from York Rail station to Askham Bar P&R (which is almost opposite York College; use the foot/cycle path and cross the road at the pelican crossing)

    https://www.itravelyork.info/images/content-images/Buses/Park_and_Ride/Park_and_Ride_Map.png

    There are also longer distance buses that stop on the main road (e.g. Zap to Leeds, 11 to Bishopthorpe etc)
    To update, we caught the number 3 outside York train station and asked the driver. He told us to get off at the Askham P & R and then to walk under the bypass. That wasn't the best idea tbh, we'd have got lost if it hadn't been for a bloke telling us to go over the mound of earth.

    A better idea is to get off the stop before at Tesco, walk along the front of the store, then walk up the paved ramp and across the road to the college's entrance.

    We also went and asked at college, explaining the situation and if it would be best to go by a bus that goes along the road by the college or stick to No3 park and ride. They suggested sticking to p&r due to the frequency of those buses.

    Just thought I'd update in case anyone else ever needs the info.
    Thanks for the advice given.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards