Tv Licence Prosecution

Options
Hi

I’ve been sent a letter saying I’ve been charged of having no licence and have 21 days to plead guilty or not guilt.
My question is, what sort of fine am I looking at and will I be able to pay monthly ? On paper I probably look like I’m ok financially as above minimum wage but have lots of debts and also suffer with depression and anxiety, which is why I’ve got myself in this position.
Thanks

Comments

• Kitten868
    Kitten868 Posts: 1,785 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Have you been watching any TV?
    Loan 1 £5200/£8000
    Loan 2 £300/£5800
    Total £5500/£13800
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    The ones I see are around £250 when they add victim surcharge . It's a priority debt and can't be written off in bankruptcy so maybe start saving to pay it, and get advice on the other debts.
  • Willing2Learn
    Willing2Learn Posts: 6,294 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I have just been reading the TV Licensing Prosecution Code. If I understand it correctly, you have received a Single Justice Procedure (SJP) Notice. If that is the case, then you can avoid prosecution if you pay the license in full within 21 days of SJP Notice.

Have a read for yourself:
    TV Licensing Prosecution Code
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • Willing2Learn
    Willing2Learn Posts: 6,294 Forumite
    Options
    @Debtfreemooo

You posted up your SOA six months ago, looking for advice on your debts (you had 20-odd creditors). Just wondering if you have managed to put together a comprehensive plan to break the cycle of debt. (Basically asking how you are doing and is there anything we can help you with?)
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • Debtfreemooo
    Debtfreemooo Posts: 23 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Willing, I believe that only applies if they write to you to say you can do that.
    When they came to My home I paid £25 then and there and then a direct debit of £25 came out a few days ago so I’ve already paid £50 towards it.
    Also, this happened a few years ago which is why I think I’ve been prosecuted this time as it states if you have being warned before then they will probably prosecute the second time. Thanks for your reply
  • Debtfreemooo
    Debtfreemooo Posts: 23 Forumite
    Options
    Not sure how to quote your reply willing sorry.
    Just this month I’ve sat down and sorted through all my debs and set up standing orders etc from one main bank account where that’s only used for bills, so I’m getting there thanks
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,463 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Not sure how to quote your reply willing sorry.
    Just this month I’ve sat down and sorted through all my debs and set up standing orders etc from one main bank account where that’s only used for bills, so I’m getting there thanks

That's a good start - have you reviewed your SOA to make sure that you are working within the budget you have set yourself for your monthly/annual expenses?

From what you say you have already set up a payment programme for a TV license which is good - once you have paid a chunk of your first one the payments usually drop to a little under £13 a month going forwards.
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,177 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

I’ve been sent a letter saying I’ve been charged of having no licence and have 21 days to plead guilty or not guilt.
    My question is, what sort of fine am I looking at and will I be able to pay monthly ? On paper I probably look like I’m ok financially as above minimum wage but have lots of debts and also suffer with depression and anxiety, which is why I’ve got myself in this position.
    Thanks

The fine is based on the Means Statement form that you will be asked to submit. For someone on a low income, the base fine is likely to be in the region of £150-200 with other fees (£60-120) and surcharges (£40-50) added on.

Yes, you can ask the Court for time to pay, and then pay by instalments.

You don't say that you feel as if the charge is falsified, so I won't make any assumptions on that. However, the TV Licensing process is legally quite poor, so there may be some options for a defence.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,955 Ambassador
    Options
    Cornucopia wrote: »
    However, the TV Licensing process is legally quite poor, so there may be some options for a defence.

That is putting it mildly, its an arcaic, way out of date, piece of junk legislation, that should be consigned to the history books along with flogging and the drowning of whitches !!
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    I started to notice fewer people were buying a licence a couple of years ago. It's accelerating now. I reckon half the people I see (I'm a debt adviser in a deprived area) now do not have one and if I believe what I'm told, most of those opt out legitimately.

You just need to be able to declare
    • I don't watch or record programmes as they're being shown on TV or live on an online TV service, on any channel, using any device. This includes TVs, desktop computers, laptops, mobile phones, tablets, games consoles, digital boxes or DVD/VHS recorders.
    • I don't watch or record programmes from abroad as they're being shown on TV or live on an online TV service.
    • I don't download or watch BBC programmes on iPlayer. This applies to any device and provider you use, including Sky, Virgin Media, BT Vision, Freeview, Freesat, YouView, Apple, Roku or Amazon.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure