New Post Advanced Search

Advice re mortgage application/deposit

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Mortgages & Endowments
5 replies 574 views
Sicily1991Sicily1991 Forumite
32 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Mortgages & Endowments
Hello,

My situation is that I have just enough saved up for a 10% deposit including a gift from my father.
I.e. I have £1600 in a HTB ISA, £1400 in a savings account, and £7500 in my current account (higher interest) which is where all my outgoings come out from. In all I need £9k of my own money, in addition to £6k from my father to make up the deposit which leaves me with only £1.5K for this month's outgoings until I get paid again. Purchase price is £150k.

My question is: as I'm preparing to put in a mortgage application, will the lenders be concerned that I am using practically all my money to demonstrate the deposit? I know that it will probably be another 2/3 paydays before I actually need to transfer the deposit so I'll have more savings by then, but I'm concerned the bank will say I don't have enough to live off if I'm using all my savings.

Replies

• ExodiExodi Forumite
    933 posts
    500 Posts Combo Breaker Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    Sicily1991 wrote: »
    Hello,

My situation is that I have just enough saved up for a 10% deposit including a gift from my father.
    I.e. I have £1600 in a HTB ISA, £1400 in a savings account, and £7500 in my current account (higher interest) which is where all my outgoings come out from. In all I need £9k of my own money, in addition to £6k from my father to make up the deposit which leaves me with only £1.5K for this month's outgoings until I get paid again. Purchase price is £150k.

My question is: as I'm preparing to put in a mortgage application, will the lenders be concerned that I am using practically all my money to demonstrate the deposit? I know that it will probably be another 2/3 paydays before I actually need to transfer the deposit so I'll have more savings by then, but I'm concerned the bank will say I don't have enough to live off if I'm using all my savings.

So from the figures you've posted, you have £1600 (htb) + £400 (htb bonus) + £1400 (s/a) + £7500 (c/a) + £6000 (gift) = £16,900. The deposit is £15,000 but you will need to pay for conveyancing fee's (~£1,500 inc searches) and a survey (~£400), etc, it's clearly quite tight.

To answer your question, you will have no issues with the lender or solicitor however I would be saving every penny over the next 1-3 paydays so you don't move in with £0.00 in your bank.

Regarding your suggestion from the bank, it just wouldn't happen. A lot of people move into a house with not much more than the clothes they're wearing.
    Know what you don't
  • Thank you for your reply. In terms of the timeline of when I'll actually be transferring the deposit money to my solicitor- how close to the exchange date is this? I am able to save about £800-£1000 a month with my current salary but as you correctly point out- I have the legal costs to cover over the this period which will significantly reduce what I actually save.
  • muhandismuhandis Forumite
    994 posts
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    If you're talking about the 10% upon exchange, it's usually not more than 1-2 days before the planned exchange date.
    Sicily1991 wrote: »
    Thank you for your reply. In terms of the timeline of when I'll actually be transferring the deposit money to my solicitor- how close to the exchange date is this? I am able to save about £800-£1000 a month with my current salary but as you correctly point out- I have the legal costs to cover over the this period which will significantly reduce what I actually save.
  • ThrugelmirThrugelmir Forumite
    72.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Solicitors will require cleared funds prior to effecting exchange. This will include all their fees, stamp duty etc not just the deposit.
    “Markets have been so good for so long, that many investors are trivialising the advanatages of actively managing portfolio risk" - Gervais Williams
  • ExodiExodi Forumite
    933 posts
    500 Posts Combo Breaker Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    Solicitors will require cleared funds prior to effecting exchange. This will include all their fees, stamp duty etc not just the deposit.

This isn't true. You'll usually be provided with a completion statement and solicitors fees are usually taken out of 'the pot' on completion - can evidence this as I've literally just exchanged :rotfl:
    Know what you don't