Under investigation for misconduct - could I be dismissed for a driving offence?

Options

Comments

• Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Brian12389 wrote: »
    Was thinking if I resign before being fired it gives me a chance to find employment without a negative reference as the dismissal process could not be completed? I’m worried sick tbh

As I already said, only do so under very specific assurances.

You don't have those. There is no point resigning
  • System
    System Posts: 178,095 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Brian12389 wrote: »
    Thanks for your thoughts everyone - I agree it’s likely I will be dismissed which will be catastrophic - so will hand in my notice tomorrow

Why - leave it for them to do. Chances are they'll ask you to resign anyway rather than them fire you. Don't do their dirty work for them.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    edited 22 May 2019 at 11:09AM
    Options
    You received 4 speeding tickets
    Couldn’t be bothered to turn up on time for an awareness course (try applying an “on time is late” attitude
    Drove away from court having just been banned
    And are now worried about losing your job.
    Should have thought about that before showing such a blatant disregard for the laws of the land
    Can imagine if you approach your work in this manner, they will be glad to get rid
    People like you should be be banned from driving for life - you never learn and look to blame everyone else apart from the actual person responsible

Can you tell me - what is the purpose of your post above? Clearly you are Mr Perfection, including being a perfect driver. I'd employ the OP over someone with an arrogant, finger-wagging attitude like yours every time. The usefulness of the above post, and your views on the matter, is zero.
  • Manxman_in_exile
    Options
    Can you tell me - what is the purpose of your post above? Clearly you are Mr Perfection, including being a perfect driver. I'd employ the OP over someone with an arrogant, finger-wagging attitude like yours every time. The usefulness of the above post, and your views on the matter, is zero.

Yeah - I thought it was a bit harsh too.

But... racking up the 12 points (6 I think for failing to name the driver if I understood the OP correctly) and turning up late for a speed awareness course does seem to demonstrate a bit of a cavalier attitude.

And driving away after being banned...?

OP - having said that, follow the advice on here and do not resign (unless they ask you to and you'll get at least a neutral reference).

If you do resign to pre-empt a possible dismissal, your new employer will not be happy if (when) they find out you didn't tell them.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,494 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I had the 'opportunity' to attend a speed awareness course. It did state on the literature than anybody turning up late would not be allowed to attend. It would seem to be another example of the OP's relaxed attitude toward rules and regulations.
  • Exodi
    Exodi Posts: 2,875 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 22 May 2019 at 2:11PM
    Options
    TELLIT01 wrote: »
    I had the 'opportunity' to attend a speed awareness course. It did state on the literature than anybody turning up late would not be allowed to attend. It would seem to be another example of the OP's relaxed attitude toward rules and regulations.

I also didn't realise (until I was offered) there seems to be two types of speed awareness courses - one for motorways and one for other roads (I know because I did them both!).

May not be relevant to the OP if all of his offences are on motorways but I do agree it does suggest the OP seems have bad time-keeping if they need to speed all the time and were late to the speed awareness course.

Whilst johnsmith1890 scolded ToxicWomble for his 'finger-wagging attitude', I have to say, I am somewhat inclined to side with ToxicWomble in their scepticism on the OP thinking it was fine, having just been awarded a driving ban, to drive a hire on the grounds he was contemplating an appeal? I do not however share their view on speeding=blatant disregard for the laws of the land. I would implore they take out a camping chair, sit on the side of the M25 with some speed detection equipment for half an hour and count how many cars are doing above the speed limit. I'd imagine they'd lose count in less than a minute.
    Know what you don't
  • Brian12389
    Brian12389 Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    Agree with all being said to be honest - not that it matters the speed offences were all on motorway - the travel was to the SW - 5 hours journey, home invariably there is always congestion. Regarding the speed awareness course I had to travel an hour to do this in Lincoln, I did arrive 30 mins early, however the course was in a building that was difficult to find, on an industrial estate via a one way system and not on sat nav due to city centre road refurbishment. I don’t want to make excuses, at the end of the day I should stick to the speed limits and made a mistake regarding the appeal process. We are all human and I will learn from all of this. Im just here for any constructive advice so thank you to those who have been helpful, it really is appreciated.
  • Loanranger
    Loanranger Posts: 2,439 Forumite
    Options
    Do Not Resign.
    Contact Your Union.
  • Manxman_in_exile
    Manxman_in_exile Posts: 8,380 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Is it cheaper or more effective to travel by hire car? (Five hours to the south west?). I nearly always used a train for work travel as it allowed me to work on the train.
  • Brian12389
    Brian12389 Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    Again - not that it matters, but train was £300 return, plus taxis, whereas car for 3 days was £20 each day plus fuel of around £70. Sometimes there would be others in the car. We are expected to be as cost effective as possible. Anyhow, following your advice I shall see out the process and seek union representation. Thank you
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure