Help! money barn wont cancel my finance agreement

Comments

• lamcg
    lamcg Posts: 6 Forumite
    Ahh I missed out that the timing chain snapped..
  • diggingdude
    diggingdude Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Part of the problem fixing at one time expensive cars is that they cost alot to fix. I'm guessing it was an older one at that price. I would try a sale of goods act complaint that it was not fit for purpose against evans halshaw
    An answer isn't spam just because you don't like it......
  • gycraig_2
    gycraig_2 Posts: 533 Forumite
    Problem is things like this start happening to 9-10 year old cars if not maintained.
  • If the timing chain snapped, then the car had probably not been serviced correctly and on time.

On 2 of my used car purchases, I checked the service record and found that the timing belt was due for change in the immediate future. Both were done by the supplying dealer free of charge, one being Evans Halshaw.

If EH supplied a car where the chain/belt was beyond it's replacement time, then they should have replaced it as a matter of course.
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
  • 1931modela
    1931modela Posts: 97 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Unfortunately Timing Chains do not have a service interval like `cam belts, therefore it is not a requirement to replace them at set intervals or mileage.
    However if this is a chain and not a belt as OP has used both terms, then BMW have had a problem with Timing chains breaking and therefore you may be able yo ask BMW for a goodwill gesture towards the cost, it would be best to get EH to raise this on your behalf
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,870 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Most modern cars use belts, not chains, if they snap, the valves kiss the pistons, and its goodnight vienna basically.

A timing belt would not be covered under warrenty as it is a service item, they normally require changing every 60.000/100.000 miles dependant on model, this is the reason you are advised to check a vehicles service record when buying a new car, if the milage indicates the belt needs changing, and its not been done, you should have had it changed.

Clutch may be covered, but i suspect as the belt snapped the clutch is the least of your worries.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    sourcrates wrote: »
    A timing belt would not be covered under warrenty as it is a service item, they normally require changing every 60.000/100.000 miles dependant on model, this is the reason you are advised to check a vehicles service record when buying a new car, if the milage indicates the belt needs changing, and its not been done, you should have had it changed.

And cars with timing chains have chain tensioners that use oil pressure to operate them so that service history showing regular oil changes is extremely important. If sludge starts building up in the oil galleries feeding oil pressure to the chain tensioner then it can end up with the chain loose and jumping teeth.
  • iolanthe07
    iolanthe07 Posts: 5,493 Forumite
    Some cars have non-interfering cam belts, so that if the belt breaks, the pistons don't hit the valves. The Mazda MX5 is one such that comes to mind, but there must be others.
    I used to think that good grammar is important, but now I know that good wine is importanter.
  • Clive_Woody
    Clive_Woody Posts: 5,855 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Did EH sell the car as having a full service history and if so was the belt/chain changed at the correct interval?

If they did say full service history and this was inaccurate then you might be able to chase them to sort this out.

Do you still have a copy of the original advert?
    "We act as though comfort and luxury are the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us happy is something to be enthusiastic about” – Albert Einstein
  • societys_child
    societys_child Posts: 7,110 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 24 May 2019 at 8:17PM
    I purchased this car for security for my child and my job as my son attends school in a different town and my job requires me to drive to a suppliers twice a week an hours drive away.
    And to do this you really needed a:
    BMW 3 series 2.0TD M Sport business edition
    :huh:

I can think of many, many cars that would be more suitable . .
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure