New Post Advanced Search

Family loan

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Loans
31 replies 4K views
Flip1234Flip1234 Forumite
6 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Loans
Hi apologies if I'm posting in the wrong area. In 2012 my wife and I bought a property. My FIL leant us 35000 towards the cost. We had an agreement that within 10 years we would repay him 1/5 of the properties value. 10 years went by and he wrote the debt off. We are now getting a divorce and ex has said that FIL now wants his money back. Is he able to do this?

Replies

• SystemSystem
    177.7K posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    What is in writing? Is there a contract for the original loan? Is there some documentary proof where he writes the debt off?
  • Flip1234Flip1234 Forumite
    6 posts
    Hi yes it was a signed contract. It was 2002 and not 2012. As its over 6 years that contract date has passed would it be statute barred?
    6 posts
    I've not seen proof of write off. It should have been paid in 2012.
    6 posts
    The ex wants to buy my share of the house. It looks to me that this is a way of reducing my equity in the property. If FIL gets his share I will be left with 30000 for a 315000 house.
  • DCFC79DCFC79 Forumite
    38.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is why money shouldn't mix with family.
  • Gaz83Gaz83 Forumite
    4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Do you have a mortgage on the property?

Did your bank / building society know you were buying the property with aid of a loan?
    "Facism arrives as your friend. It will restore your honour, make you feel proud, protect your house, give you a job, clean up the neighbourhood, remind you of how great you once were, clear out the venal and the corrupt, remove anything you feel is unlike you... [it] doesn't walk in saying, "our programme means militias, mass imprisonments, transportations, war and persecution."
  • foxy-stoatfoxy-stoat Forumite
    6.3K posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Flip1234 wrote: »
    Hi apologies if I'm posting in the wrong area. In 2012 my wife and I bought a property. My FIL leant us 35000 towards the cost. We had an agreement that within 10 years we would repay him 1/5 of the properties value. 10 years went by and he wrote the debt off. We are now getting a divorce and ex has said that FIL now wants his money back. Is he able to do this?

So 17 years ago you accepted £35,000 to help you to buy a property, now you want to wiggle out of paying him now you guys are splitting up.....

Sounds like you need to give yourself a good talking too.
    6.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi yes it was a signed contract. It was 2002 and not 2012. As its over 6 years that contract date has passed would it be statute barred?

You can't really use this as an excuse not to pay as the contract would of been taking the date where he should of received a 5th of the property's value past the 6 years.

Unless you are saying, its 6 years from the date you should of paid him, but didn't so he cannot "enforce" the debt. Actually the debt never disappears, the Statue Barred only prevents them from taking legal action to enforce the debt. Does the FIL need to take legal action to get his money back?
    6.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    The ex wants to buy my share of the house. It looks to me that this is a way of reducing my equity in the property. If FIL gets his share I will be left with 30000 for a 315000 house.

Meaningless without knowing the mortgage balance.
  • MEM62MEM62 Forumite
    3.1K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭

It is a predictable tactic. Divorce is often a dirty business. (Although I can see FIL's view. Why should his money benefit you to the tune of £17.5K when you are divorcing his daughter?) Ultimately, a court will decide whether it works or not but if you and your ex choose to fight it that far you will loose more than that in legal fees. You'll both be far better off being sensible and coming to an agreement rather than making you lawyers rich.