Question about car and insurance payment

Options
Had an accident in October and my car was written off.Have been sent a cheque for the value of the car.I was planning to buy a cheaper car and use the rest to buy a new cooker.Is that allowed?Should I contact the OR to let him know?
edited for spelling
Debts Jan 2014 £20,108.34 :eek:

EF #70 £0/£1000

SW 1st 4lbs

Comments

• nomoneyprobs
    Options
    Had an accident in October and my car was written off.Have been sent a cheque for the value of the car.I was planning to buy a cheaper car and use the rest to buy a new cooker.Is that allowed?Should I contact the OR to let him know?
    edited for spelling

Hi, did the accident happen after Br? If it did then I wouldn't inform the or because the guidence notes as I interperet them say you should only inform the or about money in your account that is more than you need to live on, surely if the or let you keep your car then you would need the money to replace the car with one of similar value, if you then have a surplus after buying the replacement car then thats your good fortune. I would definately replace your cooker if you can do so, I couldn't think of anything worse than the cooker breaking down mid christmas lunch:eek:
    ** edit, just read your signature properly, I guess you where br in july so I wouldn't tell the or. **

Just my thoughts

Ian
    I had debts, my circumstances changed, I tried but couldn't pay them, I dealt with them in the best way I could.........
    BR - 10 -10 - 2007 11.05 am

Discharged 07 - 05 - 2008
  • Toomuchdebt
    Options
    Thanks Ian-yes I went BR in July.My cooker is really awful-only 3 rings work and the oven either burns things or cooks only on one side...drives me mad!!I definitely need a new one!

EF #70 £0/£1000

SW 1st 4lbs
  • Richard_S
    Richard_S Posts: 4,432 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Tmd,

You need a car and a new cooker; it's as simple as that. You're premitted sufficient income to meet your reasonable domestic needs.

I wouldn't bother saying anything to the O.R, some of them can be a bit funny, and it's not going to help you if he/she says no initially, then yes at a later date; you need them now.

Regards

Richard
  • Toomuchdebt
    Toomuchdebt Posts: 2,128 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thx Richard :) Advice much appreciated-was just wondering if the OR would get funny if he asked for my bank statements and there was a largeish sum of money in there which then swiftly got spent...(they gave me £2175 for my car which shocked me no end as I was expecting around £1000)

EF #70 £0/£1000

SW 1st 4lbs
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills