Forum Home» Green & Ethical MoneySaving

Quick, easy, painless, everyday ways to save cash and go green

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

Quick, easy, painless, everyday ways to save cash and go green

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Green & Ethical MoneySaving
21 replies 3.1K views
MSE_RhiannonMSE_Rhiannon MSE Staff
140 posts
Fourth Anniversary 100 Posts Car Insurance Carver! Energy Saving Champion
MSE Staff
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Green & Ethical MoneySaving
This week, we're featuring 10 quick, easy, painless, everyday ways to save cash and go green in the newsletter, including get paid to walk or recycle, refill your water bottle and save on coffee with a reusable cup.

Do you have any more tips on other ways you save money & help the environment?
Keeper of: Supermarket coupons, Birthday freebies, School holidays & Cheap perfume guides.
Follow us on Twitter to grab the latest MSE Deals.

Replies

• jwiljwil Forumite
    12K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of the biggest things we can do is waste less. Look at our bin and what we are throwing away. All of that is money and bad for the environment.

Food waste and textiles have huge environmental impacts both during production and in landfill. Not throwing away food and using a food waste collection if you have one.

The same with clothing/textiles, they should never be put in the bin - donate them to charity or use a recycling bank. Even tatty clothes and holey socks will be able to be recycled as rags. Buying second hand clothing saves money and helps the planet too :)
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
  • Simonne15Simonne15 Forumite
    14 posts
    10 Posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    In a move to reduce the plastic we buy we now buy longlife milk as it comes in cardboard cartons rather than plastic bottles. With that then cones the option to buy for the week or longer and make fewer trips to shops.
  • mmmmikeymmmmikey Forumite
    467 posts
    ✭✭
    My tip is to buy British fruit and vegetables when they're in season, as locally grown as possible. As well as saving money and reducing the carbon emissions associated with transport, you end up naturally varying your diet.
  • Typo22Typo22 Forumite
    24 posts
    Tenth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Save money & help the environment? Very simple answer, difficult for most to do. Climate change is man-made, so have one less child. Save maybe 80 years' worth of consumption. And kids cost money, so have one less. Or none.

I hate to say it, but maybe China was right with their "one-child" policy. :(
    Ian
  • EctophileEctophile Forumite
    4.3K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    China is now reversing its one child policy. It may be good for the planet, but it causes problems for the country.

As time goes on, you get more and more older people, and fewer and fewer young people. So either the old people can't retire, or the young people have to work harder and pay more taxes, just to support all the old people.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • Typo22Typo22 Forumite
    24 posts
    Tenth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Ectophile, that's why I said "maybe China was right". Producing more & more young people to support the elderly is like a giant Ponzi scheme - it won't end well!
    Ian
  • MisslayedMisslayed Forumite, Board Guide
    7.7K posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sainsbury's are happy for you to take your own containers for meat and fish.
    Hi. Martin has asked me to tell you I'm a Board Guide on the Competitions, Site Feedback and Campaigns boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with abuse). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • mmmmikeymmmmikey Forumite
    467 posts
    ✭✭
    Misslayed wrote: »
    Sainsbury's are happy for you to take your own containers for meat and fish.

Great idea, will start tomorrow - funny how easy it is not to have thought of something that now sounds so obvious :):):)
  • pile-o-stonepile-o-stone Forumite
    396 posts
    ✭✭
    We have a Joraform insulated rotating compost bin. It’s raised up off the ground on a stand that lets you easily rotate it to tumble the contents, but it also means it’s out of reach of vermin so you can put cooked waste food into it without worry.

The insulation keeps the bin hot even in winter so you quickly turn food waste into compost. Its split into two bins so when one is full, you start filling the other side. Usually by the time the second bin is full of food waste the first bin is full of compost.

All of our food waste is now composted.
    5.18 kWp PV systems (3.68 E/W & 1.5 E).
    Solar iBoost+ to two immersion heaters on 300L thermal store.
    Vegan household with 100% composted food waste
    Mini orchard planted and vegetable allotment created.
  • michaelsmichaels Forumite
    24.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Obviously LED bulbs if you haven't done it yet - change those dodgy fluorescent only fittings too is very cheap and doesn't need an electrician.
    I think....