New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

Meat free recommendations

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
16 replies 1.5K views
GrouchyGrouchy Forumite
380 posts
100 Posts
✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
Not sure if this is the correct forum section, but here goes.

I've got my favourites of 'formed' things but like to have a change and been trying a few other options without finding anything nice.

What I do like: Linda McC sausages, Linda McC Mozarrella burgers, Sains own brand burgers 10 pack (surprisingly cheap and not bad) and a few others. Also like LoveYourVeg sausages from Sains.

Has anyone tried the Aldi meat-free burgers? And also the M&S plant based meat-free burgers? Do Lidl do anything in this range that is good? Anyone found a good meat-free meatloaf option?

Any suggestions welcome.

Replies

• cuddlymarmcuddlymarm Forumite
    1.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Quorn nuggets are very nice. Also Tesco veg quarter pounders.
    January NST 2/16
  • -taff-taff Forumite
    11.6K posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lidls beetroot burgers are nice, and their falafel type balls.
    I like Cauldron sausages.
  • VfM4meplseVfM4meplse PPR
    34.3K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Grouchy wrote: »
    I've got my favourites of 'formed' things but like to have a change and been trying a few other options without finding anything nice.

What I do like: Linda McC sausages, Linda McC Mozarrella burgers, Sains own brand burgers 10 pack (surprisingly cheap and not bad) and a few others. Also like LoveYourVeg sausages from Sains.
    I've been a vegetarian all my adult life, and none of these would even register on my radar as food because I don't like the taste of meat. Give me a veggie soup or curry any day!

However, the Lidl beetroot burgers mentioned in the above post are something I would like to try.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Fire_FoxFire_Fox Forumite
    26K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Apologies if this comes over preachy, it is not intended to be. :o My work background and passion is healthcare.

Please do consider the ingredients list and nutrition data - micronutrients not just macronutrients - carefully. Many commercial meat substitutes are heavy on cheap, refined, bulking ingredients (eg. potato/ wheat/ isolates), but light on pricier, highly nutritious alternatives (eg. nuts/ seeds/ beans/ lentils). There is huge variation even within the same brand.

Highly processed convenience food is highly processed convenience food, meat or no. Wherever possible DIY from identifiable whole plant ingredients and/ or traditionally produced, minimally processed proteins (eg. Mediterranean cheeses/ tofu/ organic eggs).

It does read as preachy, sorry. :o
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • PollycatPollycat Forumite
    28.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Savvy Shopper!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fire_Fox wrote: »
    Apologies if this comes over preachy, it is not intended to be. :o My work background and passion is healthcare.

Please do consider the ingredients list and nutrition data - micronutrients not just macronutrients - carefully. Many commercial meat substitutes are heavy on cheap, refined, bulking ingredients (eg. potato/ wheat/ isolates), but light on pricier, highly nutritious alternatives (eg. nuts/ seeds/ beans/ lentils). There is huge variation even within the same brand.

Highly processed convenience food is highly processed convenience food, meat or no. Wherever possible DIY from identifiable whole plant ingredients and/ or traditionally produced, minimally processed proteins (eg. Mediterranean cheeses/ tofu/ organic eggs).

It does read as preachy, sorry. :o

I don't think it does come across as preachy.

The bit about processed food whether it's meat or vegetarian makes sense.
  • suki1964suki1964 PPR Forumite
    14.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My preference is to eat vegetarian or vegan on meat free days, preferably Indian, Far Eastern dishes

I never have thought about buying meat substitues
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
  • whiteguineapigwhiteguineapig Forumite
    1.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    The brand 'Heck' make a nice beetroot sausage too (I am waiting for it to come back on offer at Asda)
  • GrouchyGrouchy Forumite
    380 posts
    100 Posts
    ✭✭
    Thanks I will try one or two of these for occasional stand-by emergency ingredients.

And yes, always check ingredient list no matter what you are buying, agree.
  • Bill23hBill23h Forumite
    66 posts
    Fifth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I'd recommend 'GOSH!' burgers, usually in the fresh gluten-free section rather than the veggie section. The apricot ones and the beetroot ones are excellent. Too big to put in a bun as a 'burger' really, but very nice.

If you're into pies then i'd highly recommend Aldi's vegetarian pies. Big, hefty and cheesy and really indulgent (ie probably quite unhealthy and fattening). Feta and pinenut, or sweet potato, feta and spinach. (There's also a cauliflower cheese which i've not tried as i don't like cauliflower) Fantastic pies for £1.79.
  • SmooshSmoosh Forumite
    1.3K posts
    Definitely Quorn!