Earn income from surfing the web as normal

Hi Guys

I stumbled across Gener8 ads website the other day and was wondering if anyone else had any experience with them or view point?

I'm loath to give the full details of how it works as I've already had 1 post deleted and marked as spam for potentially being associated with the website but the bare bones of it is it's an extension for chrome or firefox which will amend any google banner ads to theirs which are personalised to your preferences, every ad that appears generates tokens (without any clicks) and this will eventually become payable with estimates of £20-40 a month for an average user.

Once again, before anyone clicks spam on me, I'm genuinely in no way associated with this website! I would just like to generate some conversation and hopefully get some informed, independent view points on whether this will every take off. There is currently only a rarely updated blog on their website and a slightly more active presence on a Reddit page. Both of which you can find easily enough by googling the buzzwords (note, it's Gener8Ads, I think Gener8 on its own is another thing completely)

I've been using it for around 2 weeks now and it is racking up the tokens with no apparent negative impact on my browsing. It seems to have been on the go from around October 2018 or so from what I can gather and they have currently surpassed the 10k users level. That's about all the details I have at the moment.

Any thoughts people?

Comments

• droopsnoot
    droopsnoot Posts: 1,758 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 9 May 2019 at 10:52AM
    JawDr0p wrote: »
    I'm loath to give the full details of how it works as I've already had 1 post deleted and marked as spam for potentially being associated with the website

That may just be because you're a relatively new poster, and when someone joins the board and immediately posts about a particular service or web site, conclusions can be jumped to, rightly or wrongly. It happens quite a lot on here.

The idea of the site seems good (for the users), though I guess the proof will be when you have converted your tokens into real money a few times. I wonder how they will fund it though.
  • JawDr0p
    JawDr0p Posts: 6 Forumite
    Hi Droopsnoot

Yes, I spoke with the forum admin team and they alluded to the same thing. To be fair, I probably had tried to be a bit cheeky also and drop in a referral link which I noticed while looking for a contact for the admin team is not allowed, hey ho, god loves a trier!

From what I can gather, they are running the adverts free of charge at the moment to try and gain a customer base. They lay out the "business strategy" or story I think they call it on their website. Once they hit 50k I think they then plan on trying to sell the advertising space thus generating the proposed income. At which point, so they say, the tokens collected to date will then become convertible.

They are trying to encourage people to donate any converted cash to charity but the option to withdraw will still be an option. The big speculation (and this appears to have been rumbling on for months on the Reddit blog) is what the conversion rate will be.

I work as a quantity surveyor myself, so I like to think I'm relatively adept with numbers. Looking at the current token collection values from other users that have divulged, the referral bonus offered and the headline statement of £20-40 a month as stated by Gener8Ads themselves I don't think a 10 tokens to £1 ratio will be too far off the mark.

What I'm not too au fait with is whether that is sustainable? In layman's terms, what does banner advertising on a website sell for/make the host website? For them to be able to pay every user £20-40 just for viewing ads (no requirement to click on them) this seems high to me, my understanding was even a clicked ad may only generate an affiliate payment in the region of £0.08 or so. This being the case even a clicked Ad would require 250 clicks a month to generate £20 of cash (net) and that would be without Gener8Ads taking any cut, presumably if they had 50k plus subscribers each getting £20 a month (£1M a month turnover) a 15% cut of this (£150k/month) would more than cover outlays.

Again, when you start looking at the fact this could be generating a £1M turnover with just a 50k customer base from banner ads it seems as though this may be massively over egged?

Just my very ill informed thoughts! Anyone able to chip in with some more concrete numbers as I've almost no experience/knowledge in this other than having skimmed similar articles re. passive income from advertising (more from hosting your own blog website etc)

Believe me, I would love it if this amounts to something and I'm happy enough keeping it installed and going along for the ride.
  • General_Grant
    General_Grant Posts: 4,840 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    droopsnoot wrote: »
    That may just be because you're a relatively new poster, and when someone joins the board and immediately posts about a particular service or web site, conclusions can be jumped to, rightly or wrongly. It happens quite a lot on here.

The idea of the site seems good (for the users), though I guess the proof will be when you have converted your tokens into real money a few times. I wonder how they will fund it though.

Well I suppose someone who joined in January 2011 but whose only visible posts are over the past couple of months could count as a relatively new poster.
  • droopsnoot
    droopsnoot Posts: 1,758 Forumite
    Well I suppose someone who joined in January 2011 but whose only visible posts are over the past couple of months could count as a relatively new poster.

A poor choice of words perhaps - I was looking at post count.
  • JawDr0p
    We seem to have gone a little off topic here guys, can we get back to posts re. Gener8Ads rather than my blog interaction.

FYI, I've never really had much interest in blogs until very recently, having only just finally subscribed to Reddit also I'm actually starting to realise the joys of blogs. I've always just been a bit of a passive blog user, just popping onto them as and when I had a requirement and to gauge opinion on a matter. Hence having been a MSE subscriber since 2011 but having minimal posts.

Anyway, I digress, back to the thread topic now please! :p
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    Interesting.

I'm reminded of the Pay To Surf schemes that operated on interwebv1.0, such as Alladvantage. I think they all went bust because adverting revenue turned out short of expectations. But I did get some money out of them before they died.
  • JawDr0p
    Gener8 Ads have updated their blog stating with the following update below (copied and pasted as it seemed quicker than trying to summise)

Overall, it seems very positive and as though there is real progress. It seems to be nice that despite not having reached the target of 50k subscribers they are still willing to open up a marketplace to cashout in the form of techie products if not as cash as they seem to have held firm for the past months on not allowing cash out until 50k was met.

The banner at the top of the blog post shows Spotify £30 vouchers, Now TV boxes, Shelter charity badge, Instax (I think it's a small polaroid type camera), ITunes vouchers, Dine vouchers, WWF charity logo and some others which I can't tell as they go off the edge of the screen.

I'm unsure what it means by the first 250, whether this is people that attempt to enter the new marketplace or purchase an item through it or whether this relates to subscribers 1-250 from when the page launched but they intend to continue rolling this out further.

Original post from the blog below:

GENER8 MARKETPLACE
    Thank you for being a part of the journey! We’re progressing every day and we’re excited to show you what we’ve been working on.

Our aim is to enable you to exchange tokens for money as quickly as possible. We’re not there yet so please keep inviting your pals. Currently, we have over 10,000 users and that number is rising fast, but we need your help to grow to 50k so that you can start earning money.

In the meantime, we’ve partnered with awesome brands to enable you to start exchanging your tokens for physical (and digital) products. On Monday 3rd June we will be opening the doors to the Gener8 Marketplace to the first 250 people, and then rolling it out to more and more shortly afterward.

The marketplace is full to the brim with premium tech products/services and charity donations, and you can exchange your tokens for them.

Psst… the fastest way to get more tokens (to spend on the best products) is through inviting your friends to join Gener8*.

Thank you for being a part of the movement.

*you may also notice our fraud prevention step up a notch. We will be suspending users who show suspicious activity from tomorrow onwards.
  • lukgs7
    lukgs7 Posts: 2,347 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Anyone managed to buy something from the market place?
    I tried to buy the amazon vouchers, but they were sold out in fraction of a second.
    Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing ;)
  • carpy
    carpy Posts: 1,083 Forumite
    i'm using this, have built up enough tokens to buy something but cannot get any 'sign-ups' to unlock marketplace for me!
  • mklister
    mklister Posts: 35 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I recently listened to the BBC Podcast The Missing Crypto Queen https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/stories-50435014

With the One Coin scam the product was a fake cryptocurrency and a resale marketplace that never opened. On this one it's tokens for a marketplace that probably doesn't exist, so you'll find that those tokens will always be worthless.

So you'll be handing over your data, and also allowing adverts to be served to you without any reward. Who knows what else that plugin might steal.

Probably a lot of the same people involved in setting up similar scams.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback