PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Moving flats and food organisation

Options
Hi, I am moving flats in two weeks time, have finally got a flat back where I used to live before and regretted moving.

At the moment I have a table top cooker, a microwave and a 1.5 litre slow cooker. My cooking habits are hit and miss and I do rely on ready meals a lot, hence getting rid of the full size cooker I once had.

When I move I am going to get a full size cooker as it will look better in that kitchen and I want to organised with meals again. I will be eating ready meals in the interim as I don't want to fill my freezer and fridge too much before I move.

Any ideas on getting more organised when I move. I live alone and work full time. I can cook but am not very adventurous and usually I admit, feel as if I can't be bothered with food.

Comments

• Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just buy what you fancy to eat. It will save a lot of time and money in the long run.

Think about what is your favorite food and buy that. Mine is cheese and biscuits so that is what I buy.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,658 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Fusspot wrote: »
    Hi, I am moving flats in two weeks time, have finally got a flat back where I used to live before and regretted moving.

At the moment I have a table top cooker, a microwave and a 1.5 litre slow cooker. My cooking habits are hit and miss and I do rely on ready meals a lot, hence getting rid of the full size cooker I once had.

When I move I am going to get a full size cooker as it will look better in that kitchen and I want to organised with meals again. I will be eating ready meals in the interim as I don't want to fill my freezer and fridge too much before I move.

Any ideas on getting more organised when I move. I live alone and work full time. I can cook but am not very adventurous and usually I admit, feel as if I can't be bothered with food.
    :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

I was amused by that comment but whatever your motivation I'm sure it's a positive thing.

At least soon you can have oven chips!:D
  • Fusspot
    Fusspot Posts: 327 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Sorry I mean the motivation to cook properly once I have moved into my new flat, not while I am in the process of moving.
  • Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have got a full sized cooker as well, but it doesn't motivate me, I prefer gardening. I do batch cooking in the winter, because I want more than one dinner if I am going to go to the trouble. In the summer months it is salad and variations on that, sling something on a plate. Really, just buy and eat what you fancy.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 5 May 2019 at 9:30PM
    Options
    Linda32 wrote: »
    Just buy what you fancy to eat. It will save a lot of time and money in the long run.

Think about what is your favorite food and buy that. Mine is cheese and biscuits so that is what I buy.
    I feel very strongly that this might be ok for a few weeks, but long-term it is going to be damaging to your health. I found out for myself the hard way how important getting all the right nutrients is (a long story). The shocking part is that not only do I know better, but its my job to keep people healthy!

That said, I still think cooking is over-rated. You can still have a balanced diet without troubling the oven, but it would be hard to do it in the absence of a fridge. Agree with the salad sentiment of the PP.

Good luck with the flat move, you'll be able to relax by the next Bank Holiday weekend :)
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,338 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I cook large quantities whenever I do cook, and box up leftovers to put in the fridge or freezer for when I can't be bothered to cook. Rather like my own ready meals.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,518 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'd just keep it simple. At the weekend make use of the slow cooker and make something you can portion up and freeze for use during the week. If you are into sunday roast dinner there will be leftovers to have with fresh veg or a salad in the week. As and when you want to cook from scratch during the week, remember that it doesn't take long to cook a chop and some fresh veg. Mince and a simple tomato sauce for pasta take a bit longer but involve very little faff.

Cooking from scratch doesn't have to be complicated or time consuming - actually I suspect its more a question of developing a habit of cooking.
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Please do join us on the 'Cooking for One' thread. :)

My background has a lot in common with VfM4meplse I think. Link to my post on a recent thread on a similar topic.

Make it easier to eat homemade meals and make it more difficult to eat ready meals. Balanced meals can be cooked from scratch or can be quickly assembled from ready-to-go components, saving time, effort and washing up!

One of the worst things about many ready meals is that the starches are refined (white rice/ white pasta/ skinless potatoes). But you can buy wholegrain/ wholefood alternatives ready cooked or you can cook them in bulk and freeze yourself.

In my kitchen cupboards I have canned beans and lentils, canned tomatoes, canned curries, canned oily fish, jar pasta sauces, jar curry sauces, jar pastes (spices/ red chilli/ pesto). These are obviously more expensive than homemade from scratch, but cheaper and healthier than many ready meals.

The largest section of my freezer is given over to fruit and vegetables, many of which I buy prepped and frozen. This includes crushed garlic, crushed ginger and crushed green chilli (World Foods section of the freezers at some supermarkets or larger Asian/ Middle Eastern grocers). Often frozen ingredients are not only easier but also cheaper than fresh.

Some hard cheeses can be bought already grated, or you can grate a large block and freeze it yourself. Hard boil eggs six at a time for meals or snacks. I never remember to do this, but Nigella Lawson suggests adding marinades to raw meat or fish before freezing so it is grab-and-go.

HTH! :)
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • luvchocolate
    luvchocolate Posts: 3,263 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    today I cooked 3 chicken breasts ( reduced form £5 to £2.20) with carrots, onions, mushrooms,leek,courgette and !!! pulses all in the slow cooker. Portioned and put in freezer.
    I often do a basic bolognaise and freeze some and make a shepherds pie and chilli etc
    Always something healthy and cheap on hand.
  • Fusspot
    Fusspot Posts: 327 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    today I cooked 3 chicken breasts ( reduced form £5 to £2.20) with carrots, onions, mushrooms,leek,courgette and !!! pulses all in the slow cooker. Portioned and put in freezer.
    I often do a basic bolognaise and freeze some and make a shepherds pie and chilli etc
    Always something healthy and cheap on hand.

I must admit I am worried about reheating chicken. I love chicken but tend to cook it as I eat it because I fear food poisoning from it. I am fine with freezing and reheating other foods though.

When you reheat your chicken do you reheat it in the microwave or the oven?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure