PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Its (probably) gone....

Options
Went to do some early morning laps of Regent’s Park and on the way through Marylebone high street I noticed that my favourite home furnishing shop in London had bailiff notices in the window.

Am so sad.

I really don’t know how physical shops these days can survive unless they use Mike Ashley business ethics.

As I said.... so sad!

Comments

• bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,518 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Maybe if they did not have to compete with international companies who pay no tax, they would have a better chance of survival ...
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Went to do some early morning laps of Regent’s Park and on the way through Marylebone high street I noticed that my favourite home furnishing shop in London had bailiff notices in the window.

Am so sad.

I really don’t know how physical shops these days can survive unless they use Mike Ashley business ethics.

As I said.... so sad!
    You have just reminded me of how little I miss London. I had an invigorating walk along the seaside and am very happy: however I avoid the High Street as its empty of shops and full of social problems. If the major retailers are pulling out, local independent shops don't stand a chance.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Mr_Singleton
    Mr_Singleton Posts: 1,891 Forumite
    Options
    bouicca21 wrote: »
    Maybe if they did not have to compete with international companies who pay no tax, they would have a better chance of survival ...

You maybe right for cheap commodity items like clothes and books etc but not for correctly priced, good quality, well designed items such as say a Carl Hansen chair.

There seems to be structural problems in the market. The rent on Marylebone high street must be horrific add on rates the cost of staff etc and how can anyone make any money. There used to be a Tesco and Starbucks but both have also gone.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    You maybe right for cheap commodity items like clothes and books etc but not for correctly priced, good quality, well designed items such as say a Carl Hansen chair.

There seems to be structural problems in the market. The rent on Marylebone high street must be horrific add on rates the cost of staff etc and how can anyone make any money. There used to be a Tesco and Starbucks but both have also gone.
    No way!

What about the CRUK and Oxfam bookshop?
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,658 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

It'll be interesting to see how various chains get on with challenging landlords over greedy rents.

I think that if more stood up to them and walked away they'd need to move bottom line. Our River Island has recently moved out of ridiculously expensive mall and into High Street. UO which is very popular is outside the mall too, as is our Primark.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure