PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cheaper to make or buy red pesto?

Options
Hi all, so my kids love red pesto on pasta as a cheap meal but as I use a whole bar every time I’m wondering if it would be cheaper to make a big batch of it? If so does anyone have a good recipe and how would I store it when made?

Thanks in advance

Sam

Comments

• flea72
    flea72 Posts: 5,392 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Aldi sell if for 79p a jar. If i buy the sundried tomatoes, pine nuts, parmesan, oil and herbs in aldi to make it myself, it works out more expensive
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    flea72 wrote: »
    Aldi sell if for 79p a jar. If i buy the sundried tomatoes, pine nuts, parmesan, oil and herbs in aldi to make it myself, it works out more expensive
    Ditto Lidl - I think they dropped the price recently so do check.

Pesto doesn't last long once open, hence the jars tend to be diddy.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,572 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 3 May 2019 at 10:18AM
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    Pesto doesn't last long once open, hence the jars tend to be diddy.

If it's scooped out and put in a smaller container or scraped down the sides and olive oil poured on top, kept in the fridge it'll last much longer
    Forgot to say - you can also parcel it out into ice cube trays or small containers and freeze.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure