New Post Advanced Search

Southern Railway card payment

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Public Transport & Cycling
4 replies 1.2K views
bradders80bradders80 Forumite
18 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Public Transport & Cycling
Paid for my season ticket 2 days ago and Southern Railway haven't deducted the money from my balance, not even my available balance.

I paid by debit card at the ticket office (found one which was actually open at the stated times!). Chip and pin, not contactless. Receipt says everything has gone through.

Have I got it for free? :j

I've just never noticed a debit card payment not be deducted immediately, except on planes.

Replies

• agrinnallagrinnall
    23.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No you haven't got it for free, unless you're very lucky. There are many reasons why a payment might be delayed for a few days, and you're simply wrong that payments are always deducted immediately. It'll probably come off soon, but even of it doesn't they still have 6 months to take it, and 6 years to pursue you for the debt.
  • bradders80bradders80 Forumite
    18 posts
    agrinnall wrote: »
    and you're simply wrong that payments are always deducted immediately.

Ouch. I said I've never noticed a debit card payment not to be deducted immediately. Which, for the last 30 years anyway, is true for me.

Doesn't seem real that I could spend money 'twice' on a debit card, or spend money i didn't have.
  • stragglebodstragglebod Forumite
    1.1K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Is nobody going to make the obvious joke about Southern Rail and delays?
  • surreysaversurreysaver Forumite
    3.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Its unusual these days for purchases not to be authorised immediately online. But the railway is probably different. Look at contactless on TfL - that's done end of day
    I consider myself to be a male feminist. Is that allowed?