We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Help

Help please folks,
I've been staving off for years but I can't see any way out of this,
I took out a loan for my parents years ago as they were struggling, however they are now unable to pay me back,
I'm currently sitting at about £27k in debt with a mortgage of around £74k with maybe £10k in equity, this loan is costing me around £500 a month and I'm really really struggling with it, any advice would be greatly appreciated

Comments

  • savetosave
    savetosave Posts: 127 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    Hi
    How much longer is the loan payable for? Are your parents able to make any payments, even if not the full amount?
    Complete an soa and see if anyone can help you work out ways to save.
  • Bp123
    Bp123 Posts: 4 Newbie
    Hi,
    Thanks for your message,
    Because I've had to consolidate time and again I've still 6 years to go, unfortunately my parents have made so many mistakes with money they can't afford anything, total nightmare ��
  • Are there any other family members who could help them?
    June 2026, Mortgage free, Emergency fund fully funded & £200/200 cash maximum pb holding .:jWeight 12st challenge 11st 2lb

    Gift to children challenge £40k in 2 years. Short term gift challenge 7 presents and $1300 can by September.

    Determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection. I’m not perfect but I’m good enough.
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6673398/hopefully-cruising-with-focus-towards-retirement#latest
  • kazwookie
    kazwookie Posts: 14,346 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Maybe your parents need to join this site and do a SOA as well, so we can make suggestions to help them as well as you.

    Differnet eyes see things in different ways.
    Breast Cancer 100 miles Oct 22 100/100miles
    D-Day 80km June 24 80/80km (10.06.24)
    Diabetic UK 1m steps July 24 to end Sept 24. 1,001,066/ 1,000,000 (20.09.24)
    Breast Cancer Now 100 miles 1st May 2025 (18.05.25)
    Diabetic UK 1 million steps July 2025 to Sept 25. 1,006,489 / 1,000,000 (10.09.25)
    Breast Cancer 100 miles Oct 2025 100/100 (12.10.25 all done)
    Tommy 10,000 steps challenge. 1st Nov 25 for 30 days .
    Diabetic UK 1 million steps July 2026 to Sept 26. 1,002,786 / 1,000,000 (13.09.26)
  • Bp123
    Bp123 Posts: 4 Newbie
    Hi, yes there is but they've given up on them as they've lent them money also
  • Bp123
    Bp123 Posts: 4 Newbie
    Hi,
    They already have citizens advice helping them,
    I've done all I can but I can't do anymore and now I can see the ground opening up on me, I've 2 kids who are my main priority and I don't want history repeating itself, especially when all I've done is what anyone would do for their parents, however I didnt count on my parents letting me down so badly :(
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.