PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Treat myself or not?

Options
Started a new job 2 months ago and I'm on good wages (almost £11 a hour) have cheap rent and savings from when I was on benefits as I live cheaply, most of my expenditure is £3 a day on a Subway (though sometimes I go twice if had a busy day at work) I don't smoke, don't drink, don't travel have a backlog of games and movies etc.

Saw a nice washing machine that is bigger than my current which is 10+ years old, I replaced a part in it 4 years ago and it works good as new and never had any other issues with it, just getting discoloured with age and I can't wash bigger items like backpacks in it.

Shall I treat myself?

I am just so used to being thrifty that the few times I treat myself I splash out, had to convince myself that treating myself to a takeaway after work yesterday wasn't the end of the world.

Comments

• p00
    p00 Posts: 824 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Save the money to buy one when this one no longer works I would say

P00 x
  • dekaspace
    dekaspace Posts: 5,705 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I was thinking I can sell current for about £30, that way if new owner has it for a year they still had a bargain and I have £30 towards new one.

Thats one of the things in my head about it and if mine breaks in a few months if I didn't I could of been £30 better off.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,589 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    p00 wrote: »
    Save the money to buy one when this one no longer works I would say

P00 x

I'd agree. Build up some savings as a buffer for any unexpected expenses. :)
  • Doom_and_Gloom
    Doom_and_Gloom Posts: 4,695 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 25 April 2019 at 10:22PM
    Options
    My initial response would be no.

However you should look at all factors.
    What are the costs of running an old machine vs a new one?
    Is the potential new machine on offer?
    Are there programmes that would save you time?
    Is there a programme you don't have on your current machine on the new one that would be helpful?
    Etc

If you can't justify a new buy then stick with what you have and don't get a new one. However if a new one would benefit you then do.

Personal note.
    You say it is bigger. I remember going from a 6kg to an 8kg years ago. Massive difference in how often we had to do a load of washing. I know some people would be horrified how long our clothes are in the clothes bin before wash (yes a week is not unheard of) but once washed they are clean! Where we rent has a 6kg that came with but we have only used it once as needed along side our 8kg machine due to needs at the time. 4 years and only once have we used the smaller machine (it gets a clean wash going periodically to clean pipes but that is it otherwise). If longer times between washes isn't a big deal then it may factor in too.
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy :D
  • sooty&sweep
    sooty&sweep Posts: 1,316 Forumite
    Options
    Hi
    I'm not sure I'd class buying myself a new washing machine as treating myself !
    How often do you need to wash larger items that don't fit into your current washing machine ?
    If the answer isn't very often then personally I'd use a launderette for that odd occasion and stick with your current one.
    Frankly just because your current machine has lasted 10 years doesn't mean that a new one will !
    Why not decide on an amount that you want to save each month to cover unexpected bills or maybe a holiday etc and then some weekly pocket money to cover some treats ?
    Jen
  • dekaspace
    dekaspace Posts: 5,705 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    My current machine is near silent, a wash is around 2 hours sometimes less depending on setting and no more than 2 hours 15.

Right now my loads are small as I am a single guy and wear a pair of jeans for around a week unless they stink or I get mud on them.

So right now the only bonus of a new machine is on the rare chance I can do a bigger load, I have a friend who lives 10 minutes away from me who has a large machine and says I can use it whenever I want but I feel like thats cheeky.

The only thing I don't like about my current machine is no real quick wash setting, it has a quick wash button but even on the "mini wash" setting takes about 40 minutes, yet a full load which is 4 different cycles takes 1 hour 45! sometimes all I want is to freshen up my work shirt or wear a t shirt a little longer before doing a full wash (especially when its mid week and I have nothing else to wash)
  • melanzana
    melanzana Posts: 3,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I'd stick with what you have. It's working fine. Keep saving, and you will still have enough to buy a new one when the time comes.

I have a Whirlpool that was installed in..... wait for it - 1996! It is still going strong, a bit marked and such but they made em good in those days for sure.

Kitchen revamp due soon, so will have to say goodbye to it. Sadly.

No point in getting rid of something if it is working fine. Take your friend up on the offer for the bits that don't fit in your own. Buy him/her a cake or something as thanks.
  • Mr_Singleton
    Mr_Singleton Posts: 1,891 Forumite
    Options
    dekaspace wrote: »
    Started a new job 2 months ago and I'm on good wages (almost £11 a hour)

Oh bless!

Made my weekend this has. To see a person so happy with such a modest income is just wonderful.

I know people earning around £200/hr as employees who come across as there being taken advantage of.

Good for you OP!
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,686 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Oh bless!

Made my weekend this has. To see a person so happy with such a modest income is just wonderful.

I know people earning around £200/hr as employees who come across as there being taken advantage of.

Good for you OP!
    I thought the same.
    I've read a lot of posts from dekaspace over the years and this is really good news. :T

dekaspace - I'm assuming you're talking about buying a new machine.

If it were me, I'd hang on to my money and continue using the machine that is currently working ok and buy a new one (or even mend the current one if that's possible as you seem to be capable of that) when something goes wrong.

Have a good weekend.
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    dekaspace, as a serial abuser & replacer of machines to hear of a trusted machine working after 10 years has me in awe - clearly you look after it!

There are very few machines that can wash rucksacks properly & the midweek freshen up is something I used to do in the bathroom sink if it really is only 1 t shirt. My flatmates were mildly startled by a T shirt on a hanger on the door frame, or swinging from a window but (correctly) presumed the underwear was dangling over the bath.

If a friend has offered the usage of a bigger machine, that is a very kindly deed & if you bring cake as well - your no mater how occasional visits will be even more appreciated!

Could you save up a bit until the current incumbent finally decides to part with you rather than replace it & sell it on? That way you have the money in hand & can buy a machine you can take home, or if you have a bit more notice can pick & buy on the internet & have delivered. (Having to get 3 lads school uniforms to & from the launderette enhanced my appreciation of swift delivery but the internet so often had the same model at a lower unit price even with delivery than a convenient place with one in stock for me to try to haul home. I have also ordered a taxi to get me & my new machine home - I had to wait a little til the wheelchair accessible car was free but it was wholly possible.)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure