Mortgage free.

if you really want to be mortgage free don't just consider overpaying . The current interest rate is around the @% mark so any over payments could be invested for growth of over that with ease. hargreaves Lansdown have an ISA that you can choose the funds or they will pick for you. No advice fee and easy to set up funds like Lindsell train global equity have grown 26.11 % over the last year and 19.4 the year before. don't forget you can withdraw money at any time and you can stop and pay off your lump sums whenever the growth is greatest.
34 Years experience as company Director in Financial services

Replies

• inigmainigma Forumite
    147 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Should I borrow more against my property and invest it?
    Original mortgage free date 01/09/2036
    Current mortgage free date 01/09/2023
    Dream mortgage free date 01/09/2021
    JUST BRING IT
  • Hodge58Hodge58 Forumite
    40 Posts
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Posts
    Probably not unless you are a risky profile and you can afford to take a temp loss.
  • BoredBored Forumite
    341 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭
    Hodge58 wrote: »
    Probably not unless you are a risky profile and you can afford to take a temp loss.

Investing your excess funds instead of paying off your mortgage early is the same level of risk as borrowing against your house to invest.
    2021 Mortgage Free Wannabes #123 - £1395/5000
    Overpayment Total: £7500
  • Hodge58Hodge58 Forumite
    40 Posts
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Posts
    Er no it is not. borrowing on the property equity has certainty in as much as you can afford to repay and the debt will reduce in line with rule 72 of the cca. Investing means it could go up or down and there is no certainty. If risk to you is the 2,30 at Kempton then it may be a good idea. However if risk to you is having a pint of beer once a week then it may not be for you. I took my own investment advice and retired early as a millionaire.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides