The Goal Mortgage free at 40

Hi all thought I would jump on the band wagon and get this debt paid off earlier .
Current situation I am 32 years old and currently have a mortgage outstanding of just over 129k on my 210k house.

ideally i want to be mortgage free before I turn the big 40 which I know would be extremely difficult

Current mortgage details: Remaining term 26 years 9 month . interest rate 2.58% locked in till 31/07/2023

I have never shipped around for my mortgage deal as my previous credit history was horrendous . So I stayed direct with my bank as I thought I would get a better chance of approval.

So far in the last 4 months I have over paid on my mortgage £2,800 , with my deal I can over pay annually by 10% .

My main question is , I have managed to save a decent amount of money , I have no outstanding debt accept my mortgage . if I was to over my full 10% annual allowance in one go would I save more now than just paying over payments each month ?

Replies

• stevenhp1987stevenhp1987 Forumite
    907 Posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭✭
    murdayg wrote: »
    My main question is , I have managed to save a decent amount of money , I have no outstanding debt accept my mortgage . if I was to over my full 10% annual allowance in one go would I save more now than just paying over payments each month ?

That really depends on how your interest is calculated & applied.

If it's calculated and applied daily, then any money you throw at it will immediately lower the amount of interest you pay going forward. So paying, say, £12k now will save you more over the course of the year than if you simply paid £1k each month due to how interest is calculated.

If interest is calculated, say yearly, then it's better to pay it off a day or so before it's calculated so it can earn interest in a savings account.

Check your mortgage contract for how interest is calculated.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides

Cyber Monday deals

Here’s what the Deals Team have spotted

MSE Deal

How to find cheap PCR tests

The rule change comes into force tomorrow

MSE Guide