What are some good towns/cities/places to go Christmas shopping?

Options

Comments

• Horace
    Horace Posts: 14,426 Forumite
    Options
    Aw shucks, I have just checked the date and can't go because I'll be in hospital :( I went last year to the Victorian Fayre and it was fab.
  • IHateDida
    IHateDida Posts: 1,670 Forumite
    Options
    How about Norwich? They have a Christmas market in early December http://www.visitnorwich.co.uk/norwich-christmas-index.aspx and the old cobbled streets and shops down that area http://www.visitnorwich.co.uk/norwich-shopping-quirky.aspx are lovely this time of year!

Of course I am biased as I live nearby, but its one of my fave cities at Xmas! (along with Warwick - although I know its a town!)
  • poppett
    poppett Posts: 897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    poppyamber wrote: »
    Dorchester has a market, i believe on a Wednesday and thats full of surprises.

i live not too far from Dorchester and I don't think much of this market, it's basically ok for fruit and veg and cheapy clothes but nothing worth travelling miles for.
    £2 savers club. No.90. Aim £500.
  • bubblebathgirl
    Options
    gemmyk16 wrote: »
    Lincoln has a Christmas Market at the beginning of December which is really good, there is also plenty unique gifts shops around the cathedral/steep hill area.
    lincon fab go there if you can bear it his far north xxxx;)
  • DaisyClaire
    Options
    Im going to have to be the third person on this thread to say....Norwich! Its fab. The new Chapelfields mall is just wonderful, and there is plenty of little shops which are non high street multiples which you don't have to walk miles out of the way for!
    They also set up an ice skating rink during the Christmas period outside 'The Forum' I believe - although im not too sure of all the details of that, I wanted to go last year but I was eight months pregnant!
  • sukysue
    sukysue Posts: 1,823 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    arlybarly wrote: »
    i know youve been to birmingham before but there is a brilliant German market that runs from now till 20th dec. loads of different stuff to see thats quite a l;ot different from a lot of stuff in the shops. the food is scrummy as well. people come from miles around just for this.

can I just second this hubby and myself just been today and it was absolutely lovley really worth going and got us all very christmassy!
    xXx-Sukysue-xXx
  • VickyA_2
    VickyA_2 Posts: 4,533 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    How about Cambridge? Lovely little shops and some more well known ones too.
    Sealed Pot Challenge #021 #8 975.71 #9 £881.44 #10 £961.13 #11 £782.13 #12 £741.83 #13 £2135.22 #14 £895.53 #15 £1240.40 #16 £1805.87 declared
  • C_J
    C_J Posts: 3,040 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Ooh! Thank you everyone for so many wonderful suggestions!

Norwich and Lincoln sound interesting, and someone I work with said they liked Salisbury. Hmm ... I'm getting spoiled for choice here :)

What can anyone tell me about Cardiff? I haven't been there since I was a kid (so I can't remember what it was like for shopping, and anyway I bet it's all changed - but it looks nice in Torchwood :) )
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Cardiff's Winter Wonderland opened on Thursday. Outdoor ice skating etc.
    The train brings you right into the bottom of town and from there it's about half a mile to anywhere.

The whole town has gone through a massive growth/redevelopment and you can get anything. There are loads of indoor shopping malls in the city too. In fact when I moved here and looked around I was overwhelmed by all these shops I had heard of and never seen. Things like Starbucks, Primark. In fact, many places there are more than one of!! I didn't know that existed. e.g. there are about 3-4 pizza huts and loads of starbucks.

Anyway, somebody's bound to be along soon that can tell you what's in Cardiff... as I am clearly useless :)

But, apparently, it's got everything and is really good.

I have not seen Torchwood (not sure what it is, except I know it's something to do with Dr Who), so can't comment on what is in that and how it compares.

Update: Winter Wonderland http://www.ukactivity.com/south-wales/cardiff-winter-wonderland.htm
    "Cardiff’s Winter Wonderland is an annual event that delights both young and old. From the moment the Christmas period begins until the New Year celebrations are all over, Cardiff enters into the festive spirit and transforms City Hall Lawn into a magical fantasy land. There is a large outdoor skating rink (which must be booked in advance due to demand), fairground rides for the children, carol singing, stalls selling Christmas goods and festive treats, and an undercover restaurant area with a variety of food and drink available – an experience not to be missed. "
  • mirandamayhem
    Options
    Horace wrote: »
    Aw shucks, I have just checked the date and can't go because I'll be in hospital :( I went last year to the Victorian Fayre and it was fab.
    ah horace, hope it's nothing major. x
    :rudolf:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family