Advent-ures in the MSE Forum... Our Advent calendar is live, helping you discover a new corner of the community each day. Visit the homepage and scroll down

Mini Solar panel and draining power

Afternoon All,

I have one of these

https://www.amazon.co.uk/RAVPower-UK-RP-PC005-Waterproof-Smartphones/dp/B01FH2HYCW

On sunny days great for charging up my kindle, phone and a power bank to use later.

The only issue is if it goes cloudy or I miss the sun setting it seems to start discharging anything attached. I guess I need something to stop that doing it. But I am not sure what I need, any ideas and it needs to be cheap.

Any ideas. Thanks in advance

Yours

Calley x
Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin

Replies

• gefnewgefnew Forumite
    768 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Hi
    It should have a blocking diode in the circuit to stop this happening.
    gef
  • calleywcalleyw Forumite
    9.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    gefnew wrote: »
    Hi
    It should have a blocking diode in the circuit to stop this happening.
    gef

Thanks for the reply. Have you looked at the link of the product, i can seeing nothing suggesting it does.

61ZriGWcfTL._SX522_.jpg

Its a portable solar charger. You can fold it up and put away. I know it discharging in low light levels. So need to stop it with something between the charger and the phone/kindle/powerbank I am charging.

Yours

Calley x

• gefnewgefnew Forumite
    768 Posts
    Forumite
    from amazon q&a section.
    As IPod and e readers are low power devices a solar charger of 15 watts or above will charge as quickly as a mains charger in full sun. However the best way to use these solar panels is with a power bank to store the charge . I use my panel for camping to power a phone, tablet, and lights with a rav power 24 watt pane…
  • edited 16 April 2019 at 10:05PM
    calleywcalleyw Forumite
    9.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    edited 16 April 2019 at 10:05PM
    gefnew wrote: »
    from amazon q&a section.
    As IPod and e readers are low power devices a solar charger of 15 watts or above will charge as quickly as a mains charger in full sun. However the best way to use these solar panels is with a power bank to store the charge . I use my panel for camping to power a phone, tablet, and lights with a rav power 24 watt pane…

Thats not really answering my question about how to stop discharging when cloudy or at sunset. When for what ever reason I am not around to disconnect items.

I am aware how to use the product.

Yours

Calley x

• Dave_FowlerDave_Fowler Forumite
    603 Posts
    Forumite
    calleyw wrote: »
    Thats not really answering my question about how to stop discharging when cloudy or at sunset. When for what ever reason I am not around to disconnect items.

I am aware how to use the product.

Yours

Calley x

Just a thought. Is it just the phone that discharges? On my phone I can set it up so that some of the power-intensive apps are allowed to run whilst the phone is charging and the phone is in sleep mode. Is it possible that you have some apps set up to do this and the phone thinks it is changing whenever a charging lead is attached?

Dave F
    Solar PV System 1: 2.96kWp South+8 degrees. Roof 38 degrees. 'Normal' system
    Solar PV System 2: 3.00kWp South-4 degrees. Roof 28 degrees. SolarEdge system
    EV car, PodPoint charger
    Lux LXP 3600 ACS + 6 x 2.4kWh Aoboet LFP 2400 battery storage. Installed Feb 2021
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Is your local HSBC closing?

114 branches to shut in 2023

MSE News

Advent Competitions

The countdown is on

MSE Forum

Baileys £10 for 1L at Tesco

When you scan your Clubcard

MSE Deals