Bad news re what I spend

Options

Comments

• shinytop
    shinytop Posts: 2,100 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    There are different ways of buying essentially the same stuff. A good example is your car. You can spend 30, 40, 50k or more on a car. Or you can spend half that and get something that is just as comfortable, reliable and goes as fast as you are allowed to. Apply that thinking elsewhere - food, clothes, technology - and you can live for less without doing without or changing your lifestyle. Remember, nobody else cares if you shop at Aldi or wear Primark clothes.;)
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,624 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    justme111 wrote: »
    It is for one person , not a couple. I live in a couple but we have different budgets. Yes I accounted for no mortgage spending and no pension savings :(

That is a lot by most people’s standards.
    Most people would be expecting that for 2 people one.
    You’d need to put up a lot more details to get help, so it can probably be improved and people here will help but it will be some effort to break down.
  • lisyloo
    Options
    shinytop wrote: »
    There are different ways of buying essentially the same stuff. A good example is your car. You can spend 30, 40, 50k or more on a car. Or you can spend half that and get something that is just as comfortable, reliable and goes as fast as you are allowed to. Apply that thinking elsewhere - food, clothes, technology - and you can live for less without doing without or changing your lifestyle. Remember, nobody else cares if you shop at Aldi or wear Primark clothes.;)

Ha ha....£30k - £50k !!
    My last car cost me £250 in 2012.
    It’s still going well after 7 years with fairly low maintenance spend and does the speed limit.
    It doesn’t look much but I can go the same places as everyone else and it’s more reliable than our other high spec car (it doesn’t have an alarm so battery goes flat less often).

I’m not saying this is a good strategy (this was a family members car so I have history) as in a lot of cases a £250 may be a false economy,

The £30k-£50k budget just made me laugh.

I’d urge you to break it down and get more help.
    The dealing with debt board are very good with this (even though it’s not debt).
    I think you problem could be helped a great deal with some work.
  • GunJack
    GunJack Posts: 11,675 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    lisyloo wrote: »
    Ha ha....£30k - £50k !!
    My last car cost me £250 in 2012.
    It’s still going well after 7 years with fairly low maintenance spend and does the speed limit.
    It doesn’t look much but I can go the same places as everyone else and it’s more reliable than our other high spec car (it doesn’t have an alarm so battery goes flat less often).

I’m not saying this is a good strategy (this was a family members car so I have history) as in a lot of cases a £250 may be a false economy,

You need to come and join us on the Bangernomics thread on the Motoring board :)
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......

I have a dodgy "i" key, so ignore spelling errors due to "i" issues, ...I blame Apple :D
  • shinytop
    shinytop Posts: 2,100 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    But plenty people (definitely not me!) do spend that much (or the PCP equivalent). Me, I've run enough bangers (2 and 4 wheeled) to last a lifetime. I currently have the luxury of a (fairly modest) company car but when that goes it'll be something practical and reliable costing a 4 figure amount.
  • crv1963
    crv1963 Posts: 1,372 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    justme111 wrote: »
    It is for one person , not a couple. I live in a couple but we have different budgets. Yes I accounted for no mortgage spending and no pension savings :(

While your lifestyle is your choice as others have said it is time for a good look at budget. If 28k pa is your need then there's a lot to be cut out or changed, or the usual choice of work longer.

We too have separate income/ expenditure but joint bills account and holiday/ big spend account (although cars are not from this the purchase of these come from our individual incomes), I macro-budget as in Mrs CRV tells me I need to put x amount pm into the account, she micro-budgets it all as in pays the bills etc.

Jointly we look at pensions/ savings/ mortgage etc. I think you need to have a chat with your partner and agree some objectives. For instance we jointly agreed for our future benefit we'd increase her pension saving, costs us a bit of compromise now but will ensure she has her own income when we do retire when she hits 55.

Our aim is retire when she is 55, joint income roughly 24-32k pa, covers the lifestyle we want and gives us a bit of a cushion for hobbies/ interests. 24 is the need, 32 is the want.
    CRV1963- Light bulb moment Sept 15- Planning the great escape- aka retirement!
  • AlanP_2
    AlanP_2 Posts: 3,256 Forumite
    edited 4 April 2019 at 12:48PM
    Options
    Our finances are fully joint and have been since we got married so our plans are based on a couple, whilst we work and once we retire.

I don't see how we could plan independently, it just doesn't make sense to me and surely just makes it a more difficult exercise. Our intention is not for 1 partner to spend their 50% and then pop their clogs.

Our target retirement income is £4k per month net which correlates with our current spend less mortgage, additional pension contributions over and above DB scheme deductions.

Higher than many I know but does include £10k a year for holidays.
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,039 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 4 April 2019 at 1:57PM
    Options
    AlanP wrote: »
    Our finances are fully joint and have been since we got married so our plans are based on a couple, whilst we work and once we retire.

I don't see how we could plan independently, it just doesn't make sense to me and surely just makes it a more difficult exercise. Our intention is not for 1 partner to spend their 50% and then pop their clogs.

Our target retirement income is £4k per month net which correlates with our current spend less mortgage, additional pension contributions over and above DB scheme deductions.

Higher than many I know but does include £10k a year for holidays.

Ditto. Both retired, no mortgage, currently on over £40K between us (plus my own State pension in a couple of years time). Separate finances in a marriage has never made any sense to us either.

In our case, we don't do expensive holidays - but we do like a new car every 3 years (£20K max).

P.S. Alan, have you also factored in that you don't pay any NI from pension income?
  • lisyloo
    Options
    shinytop wrote: »
    But plenty people (definitely not me!) do spend that much (or the PCP equivalent). Me, I've run enough bangers (2 and 4 wheeled) to last a lifetime. I currently have the luxury of a (fairly modest) company car but when that goes it'll be something practical and reliable costing a 4 figure amount.

It’s perfectly fine to spend your money on whatever you want IF you can afford it. I have other things than cars I’d prefer like early retirement so I make no value judgments on others.

However the plain truth is if you want a luxury lifestyle in retirement the you either need to save more or work longer.
    Most people I come across including this forum in their 50s who are stressed and jaded would prefer an earlier retirement in preference to a posh car.

I have no issue with what people prefer but it’s very expensive to be comfortable in retirement so it’s very much a trade off.
  • justme111
    justme111 Posts: 3,508 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Dox wrote: »
    Doesn't sound as if you are living as a couple (or not as most people would understand that word) - perhaps talking to your partner might be better than posting here?

Shall respond to one comment at a time - busy but can not resist talking about money in MSE.
    I noticed that the above post had 3 likes as well so there is a discrepancy between how I see my situation and how other people see it which I will try to fill now. My money , my expenses, , my retirement - what does it have to do with him and how talking to him would help? I did write that we live with separate budgets , just so that the situation is clearer - he moved in with me 2 and a half years ago , we are both at the stages in our lives where we have our own liabilities and assests and habits and I greatly appreciate not having to rely on anybody in my planning.
    The word "dilemma" comes from Greek where "di" means two and "lemma" means premise. Refers usually to difficult choice between two undesirable options.
    Often people seem to use this word mistakenly where "quandary" would fit better.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure