Advent-ures in the MSE Forum... Our Advent calendar is live, helping you discover a new corner of the community each day. Visit the homepage and scroll down

Sunny boy Warranty Extension

Hey all,

Just like that I'm coming up to 5 years since install and my installer has contacted me about extending the warranty on my sunny boy 3600TL.

I can also do it via SMA's website which is probably the preferred option as they accept AMEX, whereas my installer doesn't accept cards at all. Prices are the same.

another 5 Years - ~£175
another 10 Years - ~£350
another 15 years - ~£528

Has anyone ever claimed on their SMA warranty? Was it worth it? As it's a one shot I think my preference would be the 10 years extra, as that's well past the pay back period and initially my installer said they're the weak link in the system and in his experience tend to fail around the 12 year mark (?)

Thoughts?
4 Kwp System, South Facing, 35 Degree Pitch, 16 x 250W Solarworld Panels, SMA Sunnyboy 3600 Inverter, Installed 02/09/14 in Sunny South Bedford - £5600
Growatt AC Coupled SPA3000tl and 6.5kWh battery Installed Apr 2022

Replies

• The_Green_HornetThe_Green_Hornet Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    initially my installer said they're the weak link in the system and in his experience tend to fail around the 12 year mark (?)

As the majority of Solar PV inverters have only been installed in the last 9 years (the Feed-in tariff scheme was introduced on 1 April 2010) I wonder how your installer knows that they tend to fail around the 12 year mark?
  • legoman62legoman62 Forumite
    4.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I took out an extra 5yr warranty on my SB3800. It cost around £200.00 from SMA.

I decided on the 5yr warranty because when my inverter fails I would like to buy one with a battery built in and would prefer to wait until technology/pricing improves.

I took the Comfort option. Last year my installers said they had not had any SMA failures since they began installing in 2011:)
    16 Sanyo Hit 250s.4kWp SMA 3.8kWp inverter. SW roof. 28° pitch.
    Minimal shade. Nov 2011 install. Hybrid car. N.E Lincs Coast.
  • WaywardmikeWaywardmike Forumite
    129 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    As the majority of Solar PV inverters have only been installed in the last 9 years (the Feed-in tariff scheme was introduced on 1 April 2010) I wonder how your installer knows that they tend to fail around the 12 year mark?

Yeah, that's why I had the (?) after it..... I couldn't figure out how he would know that.

The two people at work I know with solar have both had their inverters fail though so I tend to believe the 'weak link' part, neither were SMA though and after a couple of years so within the original warranty so as far as I'm aware replaced without hassle.

I like the upgrade aspect. Maybe in 5 years battery inverters will be reasonable enough cost wise to consider. :think:
    4 Kwp System, South Facing, 35 Degree Pitch, 16 x 250W Solarworld Panels, SMA Sunnyboy 3600 Inverter, Installed 02/09/14 in Sunny South Bedford - £5600
    Growatt AC Coupled SPA3000tl and 6.5kWh battery Installed Apr 2022
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Is your local HSBC closing?

114 branches to shut in 2023

MSE News

Advent Competitions

The countdown is on

MSE Forum

Baileys £10 for 1L at Tesco

When you scan your Clubcard

MSE Deals