NHS Doctors Letter and Department

Hi,

Not sure how to phrase the title but I have a referral to an HNS service this week and I would prefer that my line manager didn’t know the particulars of the referral (at the moment). Does the NHS provide an attendance note without the department name?

I wil of course inform my employer should my health mean I need to take time or my work is affected, but I don’t want my line manager to know I’ve attended a referral.

Comments

• BrassicWoman
    BrassicWoman Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Use holiday instead ?
    2021 GC £1365.71/ £2400
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,302 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Photocopy it with a bit of paper over the things you don't want shared?
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • @BrassicWoman no I’m still going to work later that day in line with company policy. So I’m not going to waste a days holidya because my boss is an a’hole
  • @theoretica is that ok? Are there any laws surrounding this? I’ve already spoken to HR and they should be giving me a call this week, but they are a bit bad.
  • 74jax
    74jax Posts: 7,921 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I never show why I am at hospital appointments. I always scan the letter then white out the personal info regarding the details of clinic.

I then get an attendance stamped card after my appointment to show I was there.
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
  • Oh yes that’s just triggered a situation at work. My boss always asks why I was at the doctor and also when a guy was as of work he called saying he’s in hospital. Everyone wanted to know what he had and surely the boss shouldn’t even be saying he’s in hospital?
  • BrassicWoman
    BrassicWoman Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    @BrassicWoman no I’m still going to work later that day in line with company policy. So I’m not going to waste a days holidya because my boss is an a’hole

Whereas it seems fair to me that if you want to be paid for not working, you have the basic decency to explain why... maybe to HR, not the boss, but to someone.
    2021 GC £1365.71/ £2400
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,018 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Whereas it seems fair to me that if you want to be paid for not working, you have the basic decency to explain why... maybe to HR, not the boss, but to someone.
    I may have missed the OP saying that they would be PAID for the time off, but regardless, I do think it depends. If you can rely on HR to be discreet, fantastic, but that's not always the case, and managers can be appallingly indiscreet.

I once managed someone who had an appointment every week for most of the time I managed them. All I knew was that they would not be at work on that morning each week. Since I didn't know why they weren't there, I couldn't blurt it out accidentally to anyone else.

And I think if I'd gone to HR and demanded an explanation, I've have got a flea in my ear, but I do know companies where managers would do that. Perhaps the OP's employer doesn't manage HR so well ...
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Thanks.

@brassicwoman I’m not demanding paid time, I’m abiding by the policy and procedures of the company. Anything over 1/2 a day it gets taken out of our 6 days paid leave. I will still be working for 6 hours, only missing one hour of work.
  • My line manager has already been indiscreet saying that an employer was in hospital. I don’t need my health issues discussed when I’m not there.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure