Overpay mortgage or personal loan?

RaffersRaffers Forumite
131 Posts
Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
Forumite
This is a fairly quick question as I suppose I'm looking for a binary answer. I have £70K repayment mortgage @ 0.75% variable (i.e. English base rate) with freedom to make unlimited overpayments through my employer. I also have circa £4.5K left on a personal loan for a car @ 11. 9% (when I applied for the loan, I was earning less). This loan was taken over 3 years and will ordinarily be repaid by June 2021. The mortgage as it stands has 15 yr 11 months to go at the normal payment level.

I can comfortably manage paying for both. I'm also in the situation where I could realistically make monthly overpayments to either (or both???).

I'm just wondering whether there's anything obvious I've overlooked when considering which of the two to overpay. I can, for example, give an extra £200 p/m to my mortgage and seemingly shave roughly 5 years off the repayment term. That sounds good.

However, I do like the idea of paying off the personal loan quicker due to the APR.

Any thoughts are most welcome.

Replies

• ian1246ian1246 Forumite
    191 Posts
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Posts
    Forumite
    Pay off the one with the highest interest - saving you more £££. Once the personal loan is overpaid, you can then take the monthly £££ payment which would have been your personal loan payments & also chuck them at the mortgage overpayment if you wish?
  • kaycastlekaycastle Forumite
    337 Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    I would pay off the loan :) Could be worth doing a spreadsheet of them both to see the impact so that it will be clear where the biggest savings are.

Do you have a budget in a spreadsheet? Could be worth a look at everything and seeing if you can manage any more overpayments - you could even try to do both :D

I also think once you do pay off that personal loan - start a savings pot if you know you might have big spends again so you don't have to take out high interest loans for them.

Good luck with achieving your goals!
    Mortgage: Oct'17:£228k Current: £176k.Short-term: Loft conversion target: £35k/£45k. Emergency fund: £400/£2500Long-term Goal: Mortgage neutral by 2031 (age 40) Pension: £26k30 Something dreaming of not paying a mortgage
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Check your Clubcard vouchers

Use our trick to extend them

MSE News

Preparing for summer

What MoneySaving things can you do now to get ready?

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals