Previous Resident left a train of destruction

Options
So apologies if this is the wrong forum but I have had a little issue after recently moving into a new flat.

Basically the previous person who lived here disappeared (i.e suddenly stopped paying rent, broke all contact with the LL etc,) so they changed the locks etc. before they let it to me.

Anyway in the past couple of days I have had 2 bailiffs and a HCEO chasing 1 court fine and two council tax accounts (for different districts) . I have had my car (the spaces have the flat number on them) clamped twice one with suspected damage to the alloy wheel :(

And then is getting woke up by a bailiff at 6am.

None of these debts are mine, none have anything to do with me but they are impacting my life at the moment, I am scared about what else they may have left unpaid. or that my car will disappear or something like that.

Anyone have any ideas to get control of the situation?

Comments

• iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Are they allowed to clamp a car if it doesn't belong to the person they are after? when they have the means to check who its registered to
  • Willing2Learn
    Willing2Learn Posts: 6,294 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Hi,

The first thing I would do is to check my 3 credit files to ensure there is no incorrect negative data recorded on them. It should be accurate as data is only recorded against an individual and not against an address. But I would check never-the-less. :)
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • Sanctioned_Parts_List
    Options
    Are they allowed to clamp a car if it doesn't belong to the person they are after? when they have the means to check who its registered to
    Yes - the owner is not necessarily the registered keeper. Enforcement officers may clamp to prevent a vehicle being removed while they establish ownership; however, they're obliged to release it as soon as it's proven not to be owned by the person they're chasing.
  • ewandougie
    ewandougie Posts: 22 Forumite
    Options
    And in the process leaving a scrape in the inside of the alloy
  • D_M_E
    D_M_E Posts: 3,008 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If the alloy wheelis were damaged by the clamp, try putting a claim in the the bailiffs and/or HCEO for the damage and see what they have to say about it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure